AM3 Motherboard Selection

mrcountry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I have just purchased AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition processor and I would like to know which is the best stable AM3 ddr3 1600 motherboard with over clock options. I have also just read that I need to stay away from asus motherboards because there is a problem unlocking cores.

I'm new to all this and really need any help that I can get. Thanks so much in advance.

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
As for unlocking cores, you dont even need that kinda of function, you have a 965 :p
Yea thats a nice board that can do dual 16x, whereas the gigabyte i suggested only does dual x8 if that matters to you but doesnt have sata3/usb3

mrcountry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I really appreciate the information. Like I said i'm new to this and i guess i just want to get the best bang for my buck. I just want a good motherboad that is stable. I have also been reading as to where other folks are overclocking there 965 black edition to right around 4ghz and i just want to do the same if possible, with no paticular reason as to why.

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
You wont get it to 4ghz on stock cooling, 3.7 perhaps. For stable OC generally a cooler is better suited for stability at higher speeds with mobos taking a mid row seat. If you dont already have a cooler look at the hyper 212s

mrcountry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I really appreciate the help. I'm going to be getting a good cooler. I'll look at the one that you suggested. I just really dont like the color of the motherboard that you suggested. I'll look aroud and see if I cant find a high end motherboard with the options that you suggested with a little different color structure. That baby blue just wont look right in my red case. What are the name brands that I should be looking for.

mrcountry

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010
I appreciate all the help. I'm still looking at different options. I wont something that has ( SATA 6Gb/s & USB 3.0 & Fastest memory ) options available. I also want to have overclocking and upgrade ability. You have showed me the light and i'm looking to get all the options available. Like I said i'm new to this and i've decided not to ruch the purchase. I just want to find the best am3 motherboard and the money is not a problem. I just want it to be the best motherboard with all options available. Once again thanks so much and if you come across anything else, just let me know.

p1n3apqlexpr3ss

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Gigabytes the only manufacturer i know off that is incorporating next gen features into its boards, asus is with some of its boards but not alot, if your not too paranoid about the color, go with the board i suggested up the top