I7 temps still in the 50's at idle

weegee64

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
OK, I finally got around to remounting my i7 cooler, since the temps were too hot to overclock. However, the core temperatures are still about the same as before. I still have temps in the high 40's/ low 50's idling at desktop. When I remounted, I made sure to apply the correct amount of thermal paste (just a drop), and firmly screw in the fan. My case definitely has good airflow, so it's certainly not that. What else could be wrong with my system that I have these high idle temps?

Solution
You want to d/l cpu id and or hardware monitor. See what your voltage is at idle and full load. You might want to set your vcore to normal not auto. auto sometimes tweaks a little more voltage in , even at stock clocks. Then your auto turbo pulses around from core to core , it can slightly raise your idle temps. My gigabyte ud4p(p55) was set to auto by default. I put it to normal. Try putting your vdroop on auto vs enabled and see what it does at stock clocks. I take pictures of that page in bios so I can remember, lol

weegee64

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2009
I have an XCLIO 3000 I think its called (its enormous, full ATX) , and the only thing that could be somewhat effecting the airflow is a GTX 260 in the top PCI slot (the fan on it is facing down though, so its not blowing hot air on the CPU).

I am using a thermaltake IGSC 300 cooler.

Also, I was looking around in the BIOS, and I have something called vdroop enabled in the CPU feature menu. Could this be raising voltages and increasing the temperature? Might I just have a faulty/bad quality chip?

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
What are your system components? My room temp is warm and I run my GPUs most of the day using F@H. My CPU idles around 50C and my rear exhaust fans are moving lots of hot air out of the case. Have you thought of upgrading the fans?

notty22

Distinguished
You want to d/l cpu id and or hardware monitor. See what your voltage is at idle and full load. You might want to set your vcore to normal not auto. auto sometimes tweaks a little more voltage in , even at stock clocks. Then your auto turbo pulses around from core to core , it can slightly raise your idle temps. My gigabyte ud4p(p55) was set to auto by default. I put it to normal. Try putting your vdroop on auto vs enabled and see what it does at stock clocks. I take pictures of that page in bios so I can remember, lol

Solution