What do you use for graphics card stress testing?

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
As the title states, what do you guys use for graphics card stress testing? I have a 9800gtx, and i've tried stress testing with furmark, 3dmark vantage, and rthdribl. Yet, i've had the same problem with all three: What is considered stable (without any artifacting i could see) with those programs, crashes Farcry2...whats up with that?

The crash dosent have to be down to the card now does it ? unless you have tested of course by lowering back to stock settings and it dosent crash that is.
When i OC a card i personally like to drop down between 5 and 10 Mhz just for piece of mind. Its usually 5 or 6 in fact but you get the idea, just gives you a margin for error.
Furmark is what i use.
Mactronix

XD_dued

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2008
Yea when i lower clocks it doesn't crash anymore...but its a substantial difference. The stress testing allowed me to go all the way up to around 820 core 2050 shader and 1220 mem. Farcry 2 only seems to work at about 780 core 1940 shader and 1150 mem...

ATI tool can test video cards and overclock them, and OCCT i believe can test video cards too

From experience overclocking video cards can easily kill them - no where near as solid and tough as a cpu and no where near the gains either