Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Disk drive error message on load-up

Last response: in Storage
February 17, 2012 2:10:50 AM

Hopefully someone can help with this question.

The floppy disk drive is generating an error message when turning on the PC. The message reads:

"Floppy disk fail (40).
Press F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup.." The PC will not move beyond this screen unless I "Press F1 to continue."

I use the floppy disk very occasionally for temporary storage of a file. I noticed something was wrong a short while ago when the command to "Send" a file temporarily stored on the floppy disk to "My Documents" failed, and a message appeared on the screen:
"Disk in Drive A is not formatted...do you want to format it now?" When I clicked OK to format it (I knew it would erase the file of course), after a few minutes another message appeared on the screen:
"Windows was unable to complete the format."

I checked the "Device Manager">Standard Floppy Disk Controller>Properties>, and it reports that: "this device is working properly."

Could someone help please as to how best to solve this issue?

Thanks.
a b G Storage
February 17, 2012 12:47:05 PM

If the BIOS is reporting FDD fail, it could be dead (replace if you need it), or the power cable could be disconnected or bad, or the floppy connector ribbon might need to be replaced.

I would check all the the connectors first to be sure the data ribbon is properly attached to the FDD and to the motherboard, and that the power cable is firmed seated on the FDD. If they are, I would try using another FDD power connection from the PSU, and then replace the floppy data ribbon - be sure the red stripe is aligned with pin 1 on the motherboard and on the FDD. If neither of those changes work, get a new FDD (they are mechanical, and they do wear out).
February 18, 2012 10:14:10 PM

treefrog07 said:
If the BIOS is reporting FDD fail, it could be dead (replace if you need it), or the power cable could be disconnected or bad, or the floppy connector ribbon might need to be replaced.

I would check all the the connectors first to be sure the data ribbon is properly attached to the FDD and to the motherboard, and that the power cable is firmed seated on the FDD. If they are, I would try using another FDD power connection from the PSU, and then replace the floppy data ribbon - be sure the red stripe is aligned with pin 1 on the motherboard and on the FDD. If neither of those changes work, get a new FDD (they are mechanical, and they do wear out).

Thanks treefrog07 for your reply, except that it involves opening up the hard drive!

The fact is that Drive A still works, because I can still insert a floppy disk and I was still able once again to send files to it and back to "My Documents." It's just that it won't do the "Quick Format" command. And of course, the "Floppy Disk Fail (40)" error message still appears at Start-up.

I have a couple of questions:

1. If I open the "Device Manager">then I go to "Properties," there is a tab to "update" the driver, as well as to "uninstall" the driver. Updating didn't generate any change, but I'm wondering whether "un-installing" (then re-installing again) the driver will have any effect on the error message at "Startup."

2. As a last resort (short of opening up the hard drive, that is), could an expert duplicate this: If pressing (is it F8 or F2?) brings up the >Bios/Cmos Set-Up, find the >"Advanced" command, then find >"integrated peripherals," >then finding where Drive A can be switched off. The reason I'm asking this is because I don't want to risk doing it myself and then finding I can't back out or, conversely, I may end up up doing something that may have a domino effect somewhere else.

Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks.

Related resources
March 2, 2012 1:43:36 AM

I thought I would gather up the nerve to try and see if I could get into the BIOS and find the command to 'turn off' the floppy disk.

Unfortunately, apparently I have been "pressing F1" for too long. I'll have to post a different topic about the other problem. It doesn't correspond to this thread in the Forum.

Best solution

March 7, 2012 11:28:35 PM

This problem was resolved as explained in another thread related to this one:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/271644-45-last-workin...

a b G Storage
March 23, 2012 1:39:42 AM

Best answer selected by aford10.
!