Jun 16, 2009
Looking to upgrade my rig:

So my rig is:

Manufacturer: INTEL_
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
Memory: 3322MB RAM
Hard Drive: 320 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 260
Monitor: SyncMaster T220/T220G,SyncMaster Magic T220/T220G(Digital)
Sound Card: Headset (2- Creative USB Headset)
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Business (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.lh_sp2rtm.090410-1830)
Motherboard: Intel classic motherboard (Intel brand, up to 8gb ram and only 1 pci-e x16, so no sli)
Computer Case: Seems like a midtower, with a rear fan and a side fan.
PSU: OCZ Stealth X Stream 700w

- For me 1680 x 1050 22" screen is big enough, just want to be sure to play almost any game at maximum graphics.
- I use my pc for gaming, internet and word,power point and such.
- Also, in case i buy a mobo that supports sli/3 way sli is it good to buy a 9800 gt or so to dedicate for physx? Also i don't know how to overclock, and if i fail at it, i will not have money to replace damaged item right away.
- I play most recent/upcoming games like Batman Arkham Asylum, RE5.
- Most definitely getting a direct x 11 video card and selling the 260 gtx by November - December.
- If its better to buy a new pc, then i sell this and come some months later with a new build.

Any recommendation would be appreciated.

What isnt it doing that you want it to? If it is doing what you need there is no need to upgrade or build a new rig, you have a pretty good system there. If you need a bit more FPS OC the CPU a bit, and get a 64 bit version of windows so you can use 4GB of ram.

kornelax

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Thanks for the fast answer

Well, i notice on some games i cant place all on high details, because the movement becomes so blurry. Im looking into the OC and reading OC guides, says i can OC a little bit without changing the intel fan, but dunno if this has something to do also with my motherboard?

If you are going to OC, pick up an aftermarket cooler, you will likely be able to use it for many builds down the line. If lowering the details fixes it then its not a CPU bottleneck. The GTX260 should be able to handle it fine, do you have the 192 SP version instead of the 216 SP version? If so that would be the source of some of the issue. You can get rivatuner and OC your graphics card some, just make sure to run furmark and keep an eye on the temperatures.

kornelax

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

Yeah lowering graphics will give me an increase of fps, for example, in call of duty 4 it can give me around 150 fps, but if i lower the graphics i can get crazy fps around 300 fps.

The 260gtx i got is 216 cores, BFG 260 gtx OC MAXCORE.

Was checking the ram and looks like i might change it for overclock, got 3 memory timings:

3-3-3-9-12 at 200.0 mhz @ 1.8 volts
4-4-4-12-16 at 266.7 mhz @ 1.8 volts
5-5-5-18-23 at 400.0 mhz @ 1.8 volts

Good thing is ddr2 sticks are now cheap, and regarding the aftermarket cooler, I'm looking forward for a universal water cooling.

Well 95% of all monitors out there only have a refresh rate of 60Hz so 150 FPS is not very useful. Does your FPS drop when motion becomes blurry? If not check for a setting called 'motion blur' that should be set to on, your eyes expect fast motion to come with blur so if it doesnt it seems very wrong.

kornelax

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009

kk i will search for that option, meanwhile i found the monitor got a 75 Hz refresh rate.

And for overclocking the CPU, ram takes important role right? Found 4 sticks OCZ gold(1gb each) for $65.

man thanks for the answers, hope its the last time i interrupt you.