Sign in with
Your question

SATA hard drive not being detected at startup

Last response: in Storage
July 7, 2011 3:16:39 PM

I have a problem with my hard drives not being detected at startup. I have two SATA hard drives in my computer. Both are Western Digital with one being a 1TB and the other a 400GB HD.

Now, to give you what has exactly happened these last few hours of toiling away at this. I was sitting here surfing the internet, particularly loading up the new patch for World of Warcraft after having returned home from vacation for a week. This went well for a few hours, then my computer froze and went to the BSOD. Okay, no worries, this has happened before because this is Windows 7 and this happens sometimes. This has also happened due to the SATA cables coming loose on my hard drives.

I shut down the computer and unplug it from the power. I disconnect and reconnect the SATA cable from the MB and the HD to make sure they are fitting properly. I then do the same with my other HD. I reboot.

It detects my CD-ROM drive and the two hard drives which it labels as IDE drives. This is what it has always labeled them as, so this is the norm. It then freezes at the Windows logon screen.

I think this is odd and reboot. I then detects my CD-ROM drive, but not my IDE drives and immediately pops up with the following message:

Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

I then restart again and enter the BIOS. My IDE drives are not detected at all. I also check the Boot Sequence and they're not listed in that list either.

I've replaced the SATA cable of my main HD (the 1TB) with no luck. Before posting this, I tried again and it again froze at the Windows 7 loading screen (the one with the Windows logo and that's all).

I currently have an ASUS ABN32-SLI motherboard. I hope it is not fried because I have never replaced a motherboard (the only thing in the system I've never replaced, HA!). I'm sure I could do it, but I'd rather not if given the choice, y'know?

I know that the hard drives are getting power because I can feel them spin up when booting.

If there is anything I am forgetting to give, please let me know and I will try to accommodate.

Thank you
July 7, 2011 5:06:40 PM

I would say your motherboard is fried
!