Sign in with
Your question

Why some files corrupt during copying to the external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
July 7, 2011 3:43:47 PM

I have a new Acer AMD laptop w/ windows 7 64bit, and I have a persistent problem, when copying files (any type) to my external 1.5TB Seagate.
If I open just copied files, before disconnecting the drive - they are ok, but if I eject the drive, and then reconnect - about 50% to 100% of files are corrupted (on the external drive).
Never had that problem before, and cannot think of anything...., as it doesn't seem to be a drive problem - I have 2 identical ext. drives, and they both have the same problem. I usually get them right after a 3-4 attempts. It is really tedious, having to check ALL files to make sure they are not corrupt.
I have called Acer, and they told me that this is not a hardware problem, consequently not their and warranty-related.
Could anybody please advise? Thanks a lot!
a c 82 G Storage
July 7, 2011 4:31:49 PM

Do the external hard disks work properly when used on other systems? Are the external drives self-powered or powered through the USB port? Is the laptop USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 7, 2011 5:58:07 PM

Are you using the "safely remove hardware" icon in the notification area at the lower-right corner of the screen? If you don't do that then you risk corrupting files because cached I/Os don't get written to the drive.
m
l
Related resources
July 14, 2011 5:22:12 PM

GhislainG said:
Do the external hard disks work properly when used on other systems? Are the external drives self-powered or powered through the USB port? Is the laptop USB 2.0 or USB 3.0?

yes, I have checked both drives (I have two identical seagate 1.5TB portable goflexes that are powered through the usb port) with another laptop, and they were fine with all the data I was copying to and from them (same files that failed to copy on another laptop).

while struggling with it, I found that if I restart my laptop before copying files to the external drives - it works! I got crazy checking and re-checking files on seagates after multiple disconnects and reconnects - they stay fine, not corrupted.

Drives are USB 3.0, laptop is USB 2.0

I guess some software might be causing that problem? Really do not have anything unusual on this laptop.

Thanks!
m
l
July 14, 2011 5:30:28 PM

sminlal said:
Are you using the "safely remove hardware" icon in the notification area at the lower-right corner of the screen? If you don't do that then you risk corrupting files because cached I/Os don't get written to the drive.

yes, I use safely remove icon, when it works... in 70%, at times even unlocker cannot fine the handle, so have just shut down computer, otherwise it will stay forever... 24 hrs and still will not allow me to safely remove.

As I was mentioning in my other reply, I think I might have some software problems. Really would like to avoid restoring to the factory defaults!

Thanks!
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
July 14, 2011 6:10:29 PM

Can you test with a self-powered USB drive to see if the issue still occurs? What about USB keys? Do they work fine?
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 14, 2011 11:39:47 PM

nanatells said:
yes, I use safely remove icon, when it works... in 70%, at times even unlocker cannot fine the handle
That in itself suggests something a little amiss is going on which may be related to your problems.
m
l
July 15, 2011 6:19:14 PM

GhislainG said:
Can you test with a self-powered USB drive to see if the issue still occurs? What about USB keys? Do they work fine?

When I had that problem big time - couldn't copy anything, no matter how many times I tried, I tested big old self-powered usb with the same results. Anything looked just fine when copied, until you eject the drive, and everything is rubbish at the reconnection. I didn't check flash drives at that time, but I had copied files on them occasionally, not being aware of the problem yet, and those files look good.

Thank you for looking at it.
m
l
a c 82 G Storage
July 15, 2011 6:34:27 PM

If the latest drivers don't resolve the issue, then you may have a hardware issue with the USB ports, but that's a bit difficult to determine.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 15, 2011 7:19:01 PM

You might try checking the System Event Log to see if there are any errors occurring:

Start -> right-click "Computer" and choose "Manager"

In the left pane navigate to:
System Tools -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System
m
l
July 25, 2011 7:31:32 PM

sminlal said:
You might try checking the System Event Log to see if there are any errors occurring:

Start -> right-click "Computer" and choose "Manager"

In the left pane navigate to:
System Tools -> Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System

There are lots of error and warning messages related to the copying to external drives problem!
Error messages are basically the same and saying that the file system structure on the drives is corrupt and unusable and cannot be corrected... Looking at the log, I see that each time I was copying files - errors messages were generated, but there were no errors or warnings displayed, nothing. I had no idea the system was such a mess.
And with all of that the file system on all drives I tried was perfectly fine, no matter whether I was plugging - unplugging them, or managed to safely eject and replug. ALL data was accessible, except the newly written - and that was happening each time, until I started rebooting the comp before copying files to it. So far it seems to solve the problem, but would be great to know what is causing it!
Here is the link to a few screenshots from the event viewer log I uploaded to photobucket, if you would be so kind to look at:
http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp207/respeconize/ev...
I tough it would be more clear, instead of me writing paragraphs with descriptions.

Thank you so much!
m
l
July 25, 2011 7:36:00 PM

GhislainG said:
If the latest drivers don't resolve the issue, then you may have a hardware issue with the USB ports, but that's a bit difficult to determine.

I have just responded to sminlal with the link to event viewer screenshots:

http://s412.photobucket.com/albums/pp207/respeconize/ev...
if you do not mind to take a look. How do I get the latest drivers and for what, USB controllers?

Thank you!
m
l
a c 371 G Storage
July 25, 2011 7:57:08 PM

In the meantime, I'd do as the event viewer says and run a chkdsk x: /f where 'x' is the drive letter of your goflex drive.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
July 25, 2011 9:46:29 PM

Firstly, I'd try to copy of everything on that hard drive to another safe place since its obvious that you're having serious problems with it.

Then I'd replace the USB cable in case that's the source of your problems. Also, if you've habitually using the same USB port on the laptop I'd try another one just in case the port itself is the cause of the problems.

Then, assuming you were able to get a good copy of all the data, I'd reformat the drive and copy everything back to it, checking the Event Log again to see if there were any issues. Chkdsk "should" fix any file system problems, but I personally would feel better with a freshly formatted volume.
m
l
July 26, 2011 4:56:27 PM

I will try that and post an update as I am done. Thank you very much!
m
l
August 6, 2011 9:01:36 AM

i have the same problem with my hard drive....im unable to copy large files...even if i did manage to copy after multiple attempts its corrupted...other time my system hangs while data transfer to this drive...its only when i remove the drive a window delayed write message pops out..
m
l
!