Asus P7P55D
HD 5850
4GB G.Skill Ram 2x2
CM Storm Scout casing
1TB Samsung Spinpoint F3
Samsung 22x dvdrw
Samsung p2250 21.5"

Regarding the PSU:

I've been recommended a 650w, 600w, down to a 500w PSU. Suppose I stick to brand-name, highly recommended PSU's, what power do I need?

Overclocking will be done and this will stay a single-GPU build. I don't think I need a Mod PSU either. I'm looking at the Corsair VX550, TX650, or Silver Stone 500w ST50EF-Plus. All around the same price here in the Philippines (tx650 is a bit more but acceptable). any thoughts?

Now regarding the CM storm scout case:

Will everything fit?! And do I need any extensions and/or extra cables which aren't already provided when the time comes to actually build this thing? Sorry if these questions are a little silly. I'm a first time builder and I just want to get it right. Thanks for reading.

Best solution

a c 248 ) Power supply
a b Ô Samsung
November 30, 2009 9:33:29 PM

The general rule of thumb is a high quality 500 to 550 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can easily power an overclocked system with any single video card made. A high quality 700 to 750 watt power supply with sufficient current (amps) on the 12 volt rail(s) can power a system with two video cards operating in dual mode. There are a few exceptions like the new ATI Radeon HD 5000 series cards which use less power due to their energy efficiency.

A high quality 500 to 550 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 40 amps. A high quality 700 to 750 watt psu will have a +12 volt rail rated at 60 amps.

In addition the power supply should be at least 80+ Bronze certified for energy efficiency.

Here are the official power requirements for the new ATI Radeon HD 5850 and HD 5870 video cards.

ATI Radeon™ HD5850 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

ATI Radeon™ HD5870 System Requirements:

PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended

600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode

The power supply recommendations are for an entire pc system.

Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, and Seasonic are some of the brands that have a reputation for high quality power supplies that consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are reliable, stable, and come with a 5 year warranty. Some of the newer models come with a 7 year warranty. Lately we've been seeing a few other brands offering some high quality units. An example would be the Antec Earthwatts series which is an improvement over Antec’s older series psu’s.

The Corsair VX550 you mentioned would be an excellent choice if you are only going to install one video card. It has a single large +12 volt rail rated at 41 amps and comes with a 5 year warranty.

Here is a link to an excellent technical review:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

Everything will fit in the Coolermaster Storm Scout case. You should not need any extra cables or cable extensions.
a b ) Power supply
November 30, 2009 10:25:10 PM

Corsair HX520 will suit you very well and it's always nice to have modular cables so you only use what you need - never underestimate the value of keeping things tidy to help airflow, especially in what's already a great case in that Scout
m
l
Related resources
a c 144 ) Power supply
December 1, 2009 1:23:56 AM

Or the 550VX. Either of those is all you need.
m
l
December 1, 2009 5:28:43 AM

thanks guys.

If at some point in time I add on another HDD and maybe an SSD, will that make much of a difference? 520-550w still ok?

m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2009 5:30:16 AM

HD5850 would run fine in a VX450W as well.
m
l
December 1, 2009 2:53:26 PM

Thanks guys.

But back to my last question:

If at some point in time I add on another HDD and maybe an SSD, will that make much of a difference? 520-550w still ok?
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 1, 2009 3:09:34 PM

520-550 will be fine, drives dont use a lot power
m
l
December 1, 2009 3:22:34 PM

all right. im set.

thanks again fellas
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2009 4:45:49 AM

Quote:
Bad advice at its best.

Even if it did work, it would be running at near 100% all the time, which is less efficient, creates extra heat and stress on the system and leaves no room for upgrading anything like ram or adding a hdd.

Don't give stupid advice.

Quote:
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode)

I wouldn't say so....
http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1097/12/

Check the system and the power consumption. It leaves a lot of room for OC even!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
December 2, 2009 10:21:23 AM

I searched for the OC'ed review.... I had that link, that only has around 350W on OC. If i find it, i'll post it. :) 
m
l
!