Integrated video on motherboard vs. old graphics card

PelicanPants

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I just built a nice little machine for my parents and everything is working fine but I had a quick question for all of you. I built the system using this motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138145

I have my old GeForce 7600GS (256MB) in the machine I replaced for them. Is it worth it to install the 7600GS in their new machine I built? Is it going to be much (if any) better than the integrated video on the motherboard? Thanks.

PelicanPants

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
I doubt they are going to be doing any gaming above the Bejeweled level but they MIGHT want to watch some on demand movies from Netflix. I was just wondering if it would make sense to put the 7600GS in their new machine if it's going to be an upgrade from the onboard video.

PelicanPants

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Thanks. I apologize to anyone who wasted their time by reading this terrible question. Had I actually DONE SOME RESEARCH ON MY OWN, I could have answered my own question. After looking around I saw that the GMA 3100 got around 500 on 3DMark06 while the 7600GS got over 2000. I have no need for it so I guess I'll throw it in their machine next time I'm at their house.

If the board had an onboard ATI or Nvidia solution, ehh, you might consider leaving the 7600GS out. Some of the nicer onboards offer HDMI and DX10 support. However, when you get a board with built on Intel video, it's usually a safe bet that any expansion card is better.

Intel is weak in the video department.

4745454b

Titan
And yet they sell the most, odd.

I was going to say try to not use it. It will consume more power, create more heat, and they don't really need it. As you pointed out, watching ondemand movies from netflix would be the biggest thing they'd be doing. I'm not sure what off load abilities the 3100 has, but I would think it would be new enough for what netflix wants to do. I would only worry about adding a card if the 3100 can't cut it. (and even then don't "go big".)

PelicanPants

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2006
Thanks for the responses folks. In hindsight, I should have done what jay2tall mentioned and got them a board with ATI or NVidia. I forgot about that as an option. I was either planning on no video card or giving them my old 7600GS. I guess I didn't realize how bad the 3100 was. Maybe I'll keep an eye out for a cheap PCIe card for them. Of course I'll have to get one that only needs a 300W power supply since I was operating on their budget and got them a Foxconn case that had one in it. I'm just glad I did a little better job building mine a couple years ago.