m6809 or AS2012wlmi

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am torn. I am buying a new notebook very very soon. For about the same
price, I can get a eMachines m6809 or an Acer Aspire AS2012WLMi. I am
looking for suggestions. This laptop will also be used as a desktop
replacement.

The main differences between the two are CPU, video, OS version. The m6809
has an Athlon 64 3200, radeon 9600, and XP Home. The Acer has a Centrino
1.5, Radeon 9700, and XP Pro.

I guess my main question is, does anyone know if from a gaming point of
view, how will the two stack up? Superior processor vs. superior graphics
card. I also like the idea of being able to migrate to 64 bit. I do do some
video rendering, and the 64 bit + the processor power will help a good bit
there I think. Battery life is not much of a concern as it won't be lugged
around too terribly often, and when it is, it will be just to get it to
another location. I won't be using battery power very often at all.

Also of note is the fact I can get a m6807 refurbished for about $400
cheaper. Main difference is processor (Athlon 64 3000+). My concern is the
fact it has been refurbished <wink>.

Any comments, suggestions, personal experience are welcomed, including
recommendations on other systems featuring 15.4" screen, at least 512MB RAM,
Radeon 9600 or better graphics, and DVD+-RW in the $1600+/- price range.

I've owned both Acer and eMachines and I say
go with Acer.
Acer as a company has far more experience with notebooks and
their product proves it. I'm quite happy with my Acer notebook,
it's humming along nicely. that's because the emachines notebook I
got
klunked out the first week. and after a few calls with their customer
support I returned it and got the Acer instead. now I'm gaming in
style brother!
just my experience.
hope this helps.

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message news:<x%3rc.21376$Wg6.2854@bignews5.bellsouth.net>...
> I am torn. I am buying a new notebook very very soon. For about the same
> price, I can get a eMachines m6809 or an Acer Aspire AS2012WLMi. I am
> looking for suggestions. This laptop will also be used as a desktop
> replacement.
>
> The main differences between the two are CPU, video, OS version. The m6809
> has an Athlon 64 3200, radeon 9600, and XP Home. The Acer has a Centrino
> 1.5, Radeon 9700, and XP Pro.
>
> I guess my main question is, does anyone know if from a gaming point of
> view, how will the two stack up? Superior processor vs. superior graphics
> card. I also like the idea of being able to migrate to 64 bit. I do do some
> video rendering, and the 64 bit + the processor power will help a good bit
> there I think. Battery life is not much of a concern as it won't be lugged
> around too terribly often, and when it is, it will be just to get it to
> another location. I won't be using battery power very often at all.
>
> Also of note is the fact I can get a m6807 refurbished for about $400
> cheaper. Main difference is processor (Athlon 64 3000+). My concern is the
> fact it has been refurbished <wink>.
>
> Any comments, suggestions, personal experience are welcomed, including
> recommendations on other systems featuring 15.4" screen, at least 512MB RAM,
> Radeon 9600 or better graphics, and DVD+-RW in the $1600+/- price range.

kamal

Copy of the response I posted elsewhere-

I can tell you about 6805 (the differences between 6805 and 6809 being
that latter has DVD-RW, 80GB HDD and 2GHz 3200+ processor. EVERYTHING
else is the same). The problems with 6805-
(a) Poor firewire implementation. Very slow transfer speeds.
(b) Poor quality sound speakers
(c) Audio CD causes very noticeable vibration/noise when playing
(strangely this does not happen with DVD or data CDs).
(d) MIC and headphone connection at the back (they couldn't make it
any more inconvenient)
(e) Operates only on 800MHz when on batteries
(f) Gets quite hot
(g) Heavy- 8.65 lbs
(h) Lots of junk software including some that automatically pops up
ads even when you are working offline.

One selling point that eMachines itself and many users cite is that
6805 and 6809 have 64 bit processor. Well, for most people that does
not translate to any significant benefit or speed unless you are an
avid gamer or a top notch software developer or a pseudo-geek (thats
where you would find the fan following). Even though Microsoft has
released a beta version of 64 bit Windows but this processor has not
yet gained industry wide acceptance and there are are hardly any
applications which can take advantage of this architecture. 32 bit
architecture (the current one) is not going away in a hurry. You would
be making a huge mistake if you think that by getting 64-bit processor
you are getting the latest. Technically it is the latest but
practically it is not the greatest.

Another very STUPID thing with this machine (which eMachines touts as
a feature) is 6-in-1 digital media manager (Compact Flash, Memory
Stick, Secure Digital Card etc.). How many people have 6 types of
media formats ? And even if they do, most prefer to have external
connectors to connect these media types to their computer. Why should
you have to lug FOREVER the 6-in-1 BUILT-IN media manager for those
once-in-a-while times when you need to transfer files ? These things
have naturally added on to the weight of the machines. It stands at
8.65 lbs now. A hot (literally) and heavy laptop. That is definitely
not suited for a traveling consultant.

eMachines reps are very unprofessional and unknowledgeable. And last
but not the least, if you ask, eMachines will try to sell you their
extended service plan (ESP) by telling you that the screen is covered.
Most people take that to mean that accidental damage to the screen is
covered (like the coverage Toshiba or Fujitsu provide). Well,
eMachines ESP covers only screen failure. Accidental damage is NOT
covered.

One line summary- Buy something else.

p.s. If you still insist on buying this monster, don't pay more than
$1300 (after discounts and MIR) for 6805 and $1450 for 6809.

Thaks for the reply, but already purchased the m6809, and couldn't be
happier. Some other stuff inline:

"Kamal" <kamald2002@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| Copy of the response I posted elsewhere-
|
| I can tell you about 6805 (the differences between 6805 and 6809 being
| that latter has DVD-RW, 80GB HDD and 2GHz 3200+ processor. EVERYTHING
| else is the same). The problems with 6805-
| (a) Poor firewire implementation. Very slow transfer speeds.

I couldn't disagree more here. I have already seen near 400Mbps transfer
speed through my firewire.

| (b) Poor quality sound speakers

I agree with this one. I didn't buy it for a stereo though.

| (c) Audio CD causes very noticeable vibration/noise when playing
| (strangely this does not happen with DVD or data CDs).

I have yet to notice this. Actually put an audio CD after reading this
comment, and still didn't notice it. Sounded exactly the same (virtually
silent) as when using a cd-rom or DVD. Did you by chance try multiple audio
CDs? Possibly if you only tried one, it was warped/cracked.

| (d) MIC and headphone connection at the back (they couldn't make it
| any more inconvenient)

As a desktop replacement, That is the preferred position for me.

| (e) Operates only on 800MHz when on batteries

Thankfully! Even at only 800Mhz, the battery still doesn't last long on the
monster. I couldn't imagine it at the full 2GHz.

| (f) Gets quite hot

Mine gets warm on the bottom when used for an extended period of time
without moving it, but it doesn't seem "hot" by any means. Cooler than a
fresh pizza anyway <wink>.

| (g) Heavy- 8.65 lbs

The computer is advertised and designed as a desktop replacement. If high
portability is something you are seeking, a high end notebook like this is
something that shouldn't be considered anyway.

| (h) Lots of junk software including some that automatically pops up
| ads even when you are working offline.

In the 15-20 hours I have used it inthe past few days, I have gotten none of
these. Spyware removal tools are a good thing <wink>.

| One selling point that eMachines itself and many users cite is that
| 6805 and 6809 have 64 bit processor. Well, for most people that does
| not translate to any significant benefit or speed unless you are an
| avid gamer or a top notch software developer or a pseudo-geek (thats
| where you would find the fan following). Even though Microsoft has
| released a beta version of 64 bit Windows but this processor has not
| yet gained industry wide acceptance and there are are hardly any
| applications which can take advantage of this architecture. 32 bit
| architecture (the current one) is not going away in a hurry. You would
| be making a huge mistake if you think that by getting 64-bit processor
| you are getting the latest. Technically it is the latest but
| practically it is not the greatest.
|
| Another very STUPID thing with this machine (which eMachines touts as
| a feature) is 6-in-1 digital media manager (Compact Flash, Memory
| Stick, Secure Digital Card etc.). How many people have 6 types of
| media formats ? And even if they do, most prefer to have external
| connectors to connect these media types to their computer. Why should
| you have to lug FOREVER the 6-in-1 BUILT-IN media manager for those
| once-in-a-while times when you need to transfer files ? These things
| have naturally added on to the weight of the machines. It stands at
| 8.65 lbs now. A hot (literally) and heavy laptop. That is definitely
| not suited for a traveling consultant.
|
| eMachines reps are very unprofessional and unknowledgeable. And last
| but not the least, if you ask, eMachines will try to sell you their
| extended service plan (ESP) by telling you that the screen is covered.
| Most people take that to mean that accidental damage to the screen is
| covered (like the coverage Toshiba or Fujitsu provide). Well,
| eMachines ESP covers only screen failure. Accidental damage is NOT
| covered.

Accidental damage is not covered by any warranty. that is a function of
extra insurance plans. A warranty or service plan by definition is to cover
defects in workmanship, or premature failure.

| One line summary- Buy something else.

Nothing else Short of a $3000+ machine (closest I could come to what I
wanted was an alienware for about 3400 with no 64bit capability) could come
close to giving what this machine gives me. Keep in mind, I purchased it as
a Desktop replacement, what it was designed as. The 64 bit capability is
relatively important to me for enhancing some of my applications.

| p.s. If you still insist on buying this monster, don't pay more than
| $1300 (after discounts and MIR) for 6805 and $1450 for 6809.

The m6809 currently sells for 1399 after rebates in a Best Buy store. Plus,
if you are a reward zone member, you will get about $70 in gift certificates
with it (1329+/-).

kamal

Jason,

I disagree about warranties not covering accidental damage. Toshiba
does provide extended warranty + accidental damage coverage
(accidental damage coverage limited to one per year)for its laptops
for almost the same price that eMachines charges for its Extended
warranty. Check out the SystemGuard warranty on Toshiba website. I
believe Fujitsu does too. I tend not to trust the retailers too much
but CompUSA claims that they too cover accidental damage.

My point being
(a)Why should the eMachines rep lie to customers that accidental
damage is covered when in fact it is not ? Tell the truth and let the
customer decide
(b) If accidental damage coverage is a huge thing for some users like
me who have little kids running around the house, then they should
consider Toshiba and Fujitsu laptops that meet their computing
requirements as well as provide accidental coverage for the same price
that other companies charge for their "regular" extended warranties.

BTW, good to hear positive feedback about eMachines for once.

Kamal

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message news:<kctsc.13983$Sc.8933@bignews1.bellsouth.net>...
> Accidental damage is not covered by any warranty. that is a function of
> extra insurance plans. A warranty or service plan by definition is to cover
> defects in workmanship, or premature failure.

Anyone who can't see the value of this latop for its intended purpose is a
retard. It owns the 3dmark ORB right now.

Is it as well made as a T42, X40 or R100? No. But its a fun games laptop for
people who likes games and it absolutely spanks soem AW and VPC laptops that
cost 2-3x as much.

> [...]
cover
> defects in workmanship, or premature failure.
>

> | One line summary- Buy something else.
>
> Nothing else Short of a $3000+ machine (closest I could come to what I
> wanted was an alienware for about 3400 with no 64bit capability) could
come
> close to giving what this machine gives me. Keep in mind, I purchased it
as
> a Desktop replacement, what it was designed as. The 64 bit capability is
> relatively important to me for enhancing some of my applications.
>

> | p.s. If you still insist on buying this monster, don't pay more than
> | $1300 (after discounts and MIR) for 6805 and $1450 for 6809.
>
> The m6809 currently sells for 1399 after rebates in a Best Buy store.
Plus,
> if you are a reward zone member, you will get about $70 in gift

Either is nice, although there seems to be a problem with the 2012WLMi 'i'
key sticking.

I would normally say that the Acer is better made, and for almost the same
price it offers a bit better spec.

Pentium M is nicer in a laptop - almost the same performance as the a64 but
better thermal and power characteristics. You get winxp pro, and the 9700
versus the 9600.

The 680x has a socketed CPU - you can upgrade it.

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in message
> I am torn. I am buying a new notebook very very soon. For about the same
> price, I can get a eMachines m6809 or an Acer Aspire AS2012WLMi. I am
> looking for suggestions. This laptop will also be used as a desktop
> replacement.
>
> The main differences between the two are CPU, video, OS version. The m6809
> has an Athlon 64 3200, radeon 9600, and XP Home. The Acer has a Centrino
> 1.5, Radeon 9700, and XP Pro.
>
> I guess my main question is, does anyone know if from a gaming point of
> view, how will the two stack up? Superior processor vs. superior graphics
> card. I also like the idea of being able to migrate to 64 bit. I do do
some
> video rendering, and the 64 bit + the processor power will help a good bit
> there I think. Battery life is not much of a concern as it won't be lugged
> around too terribly often, and when it is, it will be just to get it to
> another location. I won't be using battery power very often at all.
>
> Also of note is the fact I can get a m6807 refurbished for about $400
> cheaper. Main difference is processor (Athlon 64 3000+). My concern is the
> fact it has been refurbished <wink>.
>
> Any comments, suggestions, personal experience are welcomed, including
> recommendations on other systems featuring 15.4" screen, at least 512MB
RAM,
> Radeon 9600 or better graphics, and DVD+-RW in the $1600+/- price range.

"Jason Cothran" <reply@board.nomail> wrote in

> The main differences between the two are CPU, video, OS version. The
> m6809 has an Athlon 64 3200, radeon 9600, and XP Home. The Acer has a
> Centrino 1.5, Radeon 9700, and XP Pro.

the athlon runs very warm in a laptop. that acer runs very cool.

> I guess my main question is, does anyone know if from a gaming point
> of view, how will the two stack up? Superior processor vs. superior
> graphics card.

i have the Acer 2001, with just a 64MB Radeon 9200..... games are
unbelievable. most games from 2003 run with graphics on very high/max.
don't be fooled by the 1.5 measurement of the Centrino - it easily
outperforms a 2.4 Ghz Pentium 4.

> I also like the idea of being able to migrate to 64
> bit. I do do some video rendering, and the 64 bit + the processor
> power will help a good bit there I think

yes, but as far as i know, it won't really help *that* much until you get
software written to take advantage of the 64-bit chip.

> Any comments, suggestions, personal experience are welcomed, including
> recommendations on other systems featuring 15.4" screen, at least
> 512MB RAM, Radeon 9600 or better graphics, and DVD+-RW in the $1600+/-
> price range.

dunno about the Acer you're looking at, but mine definetly suffers from the
'sticky key' problem occasionally. in fact, the company's refusal to
acknowledge the issue has prompted this website:

http://www.whatlaptop.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=8824

i do believe it affects the 20* series. to be honest, it doesn't affect me
SO much, but as you can tell, the company's position on it has made me
swear to bring the problem to focus whenever i can. wink.