- Foxconn G31MV-K motherboard
- 1 HP CD Writer
- 1 HP DVD Writer
- 1 seagate 80 GB IDE HDD
- 1 WD WD5000AACS 500GB SATA HDD

PSU unit specifications:

Axix model LC-B450ATX
Input 115V-230V, 10A-6A,50Hz-60Hz

I have been using this new WD HDD for only 2 weeks since I supposedly received my replacement by WD as my previous hard disk only lasted 4 months.

The problem I'm having is that when I am normally using my PC on Windows XP it suddenly stops responding (not BSOD or error message or event viewer log, the screen just freezes) so I have to push the reset button in order to defreeze it.

But here comes the strange thing:

After it boots I get no Windows XP and if I go into the BIOS the WD HDD is gone !!! The BIOS somehow stops detecting the HDD and what I have to do is to open the case, disconnect the SATA cable from the MB and connect it again sometimes to the same port and sometimes I have to put it on the second one.

Western Digital Data Ligfe Guard Diagnostic and MHDD tools report no errors.

UPDATE
----------

Ok this is happening more often.

Now sometimes Windows XP freezes and the reset button does not do anything. It does reset the PC but it never boots because the hard disk red led gets stuck.

I have to power off/on the machine in order to be able to boot Windows XP but of course it is full of errors because of the incorrect shut down.

Unfortunately Windows Event Viewer does not shows even a single error.

I changed the SATA data cable and the same thing.

Removed jumpers 1 and 2 and same thing.

MORE UPDATES
--------------------

Everytime Windows XP boots from the SATA HDD it only lasts like 7 seconds and when the Windows XP screen status is loading you can hear the HDD stop spinning.

Maybe this is due to a bad PSU, SATA HDD Power cable (I only replaced the data cable)?

Disconnected all devices except the SATA HDD to see if there was a current demand problem but it did not make any difference.

SATA HDD still stops spinning after like 7 seconds.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

It could be that the hard drive is overheating which is why your previous drive failed so early. Check the front air intakes for dust and ensure that you have air flow over the hard drive. Use a monitoring utility to check the hard drive temperature. It could be that the new hard drive has now been damaged as well.