Sign in with
Your question

Suggestions for Setup/installing a new SSD

Last response: in Storage
July 7, 2011 6:37:01 PM

Hello everyone,

Well for a quite some time now i was thinking of buying an SSD Hard drive to speed up my pc.

At the moment i have 2 320 GB hard driver in Raid 0 and i am thinking of buying This SSD.
So i would like if u could to tell me the best way to setup my 2 hard driver plus the SSD for faster gaming performance.

For instance should i put the operating system on the SSD and then will i be able to run games from there(i dont care about making windows booting faster only care about gaming performance) ....and what should i do to the 2 other Hard drives :S. I would also like to tell me if i need to be looking at a bigger SSD in GB's for what i wanna use it and also some reviews on the SSD i am currently looking :D  (hope its not that much big of a deal what i am asking for :D )

Thanks in advance.!
a c 386 G Storage
July 7, 2011 7:16:47 PM

I don't think an SSD will make a difference in gaming performance other than load levels will load up faster. Once the game is in memory, it will run the same as it always does. A faster CPU, GPU, or additional memory will do more for gaming performance.
July 7, 2011 7:25:09 PM

well i searched the web abit and i found This video ... the hdd image is exacly what i am getting at.

My system specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16GHz
Asus p5q-e
ASUS EAH5750 FORMULA 1GB
4x1GB OCZ 800MHz dual channel
2x320GB HDD connecting in raid 0
Coolermaster PowerPlus 500watt

So with this system u are saying that i need to get more ram to get the results on the video i posted ?? and if not ...tell me what do u think i should upgrade:) 
Thanks for the fast reply.:) 
Related resources
a c 386 G Storage
July 7, 2011 7:33:25 PM

Did you notice the 3rd post down on that video:

Questions:

1) Was the video recorded on the same computer @ the same settings? If not this is not valid.

2.) Did you ever defragment the HDD and make sure to not have stuff running in the background like a virus scanner´╗┐ with live scanning function on.

I have 2 SSD's a 160GB G2 Intel and a 128GB Crucial C300 and never have I seen a big difference like this nor had issues like that when using a HDD.

4 gig of ram is enough for most games. For most RPG games, I think a faster CPU & ram helps, for FPS games a good vid card helps out more.
July 7, 2011 10:35:14 PM

Well ok :D  do u think if i go for like 8GB ram and OC my cpu to 3,8 or 4 Ghz cause i got This cooller on my CPU :p  ( i know i am kinda stupid running the cpu in idle values when having this cooler :p ) will there be a differnce in my gaming performance :p  and if not what would u suggest me to go for:D 

Thanks for the info so far :) 
July 8, 2011 7:39:05 AM

If, as is the case with the video, the games you play are MMOs, then a SSD might make a big difference.
It all depends on how they load world and character data when moving around.
July 8, 2011 8:13:58 AM

Well yeah most of the games i like speding time on are indeed MMORPG :)  so what should i go for :p  SSD/RAM /OC CPU ? or go for the i5 2500k cpu with an asus p8p67pro plus 8 GB ddr3 1333Mhz ram :S
a c 386 G Storage
July 8, 2011 11:41:27 AM

You need a 64 bit OS to go over 4 gig.
July 8, 2011 10:59:30 PM

already runing windows 7 64bit :S with 4 gigs of ram ..what did u expect ..with 32 bit i would lose 800mb of ram ...:D 
July 9, 2011 12:17:07 PM

I think the real question here is: How much are you looking to spend on an upgrade? Whether it be for SSD, RAM or otherwise. What are you willing to spend?

July 9, 2011 2:47:10 PM

Well i am thinking of going for about MAX 500euro upgrade but its gonna be in about a month so not sure what i am gonna spend the money on (RAM/CPU/GPU/SSD) i will see :D 
!