Speed VS Latency

suteck

Distinguished
Can't decide, Might have already been asked but I didn't see it while skimming thru the memory forum.

Which will actually give me better performance. Running my memory at 1200MHz at 6-6-6-18 or 1800MHz at 8-8-8-26?
Or does the 1600MHz @ 7-7-7-20 run the best??

Sonny73N

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Are these settings on a same set of RAMs? Anyway, they're not that difference in performance wise, about 0.2% may be. But just remember to set your RAM's frequency to specs of MB, CPU and even to the RAM itself. If you have some room, you can tighten the timings but I'll bet they won't make much a different as DDR3 to DDR3 or DDR2 to DDR2 and so on.

What motherboard and RAM?

If you are using an Intel CPU, you will see very little difference among the three speeds. Intel CPU's are relatively insensitive to RAM speed and timings.

If you are overclocking, use the settings that give you the most stability.

suteck

Distinguished
The motherboard is the Gigabyte X58A-OC. I'm running an i7 965 overclocked to 4.2 GHz and the 12 GB's of ram are Corsair Dominator TR3X6G1600CD7. All three speeds and timings are from the same set of ram and all three settings will pass 4 hours of OCCT stress testing with hyperthreading on. The lower timings will allow me to overclock my cpu to run @ 4.5 GHz stable. And i've had it running at 4.7 GHz but stable isn't the word I'd use. That's why I am asking. I want to get the best performance I can but when I do it I see a trade-off of overclocking one for the other.