HP dv9000 series Laptop Issues

Connigar

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
Hey All, and thanks in advance for any replies!

My in-laws recently gave me an HP Pavillion dv9074cl laptop that they replaced. I understand they had numerous issues and finally gave up on it.

In a nutshell, when you hit the power button sometimes it boots into windows, other times it will stutter and restart over and over, before finally booting. Once its in Windows, it runs like a champ though. I did some research and it looks like this has been a pretty awful problem for a lot of people. I'm not entirely a noob, but it sounds like the core problem is in heat dissipation?

My main question is this: I feel I'm capable enough to replace the motherboard in the laptop, but for the life of me haven't been able to figure out if there is a replacement mobo for the laptop that does NOT have the defects that were present in so many of them.

A quick search on Ebay or Newegg, and I see at least four different mobos, and like I said, no luck in finding out if any of them are a true fix (ie, no heating defects).

It would be a great machine for my wife to email/twitter/ebay/godonlyknowswhat if I can get it going. But I don't see the point in replacing a bad motherboard with a newer bad motherboard.

Specs:
Model: HP Pavillion dv9074cl
PN: EZ2467UA#ABA
AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile
NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600
2 gigs RAM

I know they had a recall, but it looks like I'm outside the time limit, and I've tried HP's "bios fix." Again, thanks for any replies and sorry for writing a novel.

-Connigar

dannyg1981

Distinguished
May 8, 2010
right the nvida chip on the motherboard has come unsoldered u have to get access to it and heat it up to 210oc email me if u want further instructions its not hard and i have done it a few times dannyg1981@hotmail.co.uk

gordjudd

Distinguished
May 17, 2010

Hi
can you provide me details of how to do this. I have the same problem that my dv9274 won't boot - but just beeps 3 times.

thanks

Gordon