Need more onboard USB ports

AntecX58

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2009
The board I have EVGA E758-A1 has only 3 onboard usb's and the HAF case comes with a panel you have to hook up and it has 3 onboard usb connectors. and I will be getting a card reader that I have to connect via onboard USB so that makes all 4 slots used up. Is there a work around?
2 of the connectors say USB 1 says 1394, but they look the same.

also theres a connector that says HD Audio on it, and its got the holes like this

. . . .
. . x .

the x stands for a closed hole.

I have 2 of those connectors on the haf panel but only 1 on the motherboard from what I can see.

RTFM for info on HD Audio. Oh, youhave an EVGA manual - it maynot even be there lol. Sorry. Use the one marked "Intel HD" or some such, the other is there for compatibility.

1394 ports are NOT USB ports. Pinout doesn't matter.

This card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815201008

or something else from this page of similar items:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&Description=usb%20port%20card&bop=And&ActiveSearchResult=True&Order=PRICE

Should work for you.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Do NOT connect a 1394 port pinout on the mobo with a cable to a bracket providing USB sockets, and do NOT use it for your card reader. It's a bit of bad design that slipped through the system, but the SAME mobo pinout connector is used for these two very different ports. Depending on the combination, using a USB device connected to an IEEE 1394 port may damage your USB device and / or the mobo port. Likewise, never arrange to connect an IEEE 1394 device to a USB port.

Similarly, the HD audio pinout on the mobo should only be used to connect to a bracket with audio connectors on it.

It appears your mobo has only two USB pinout connectors on it, and you need to devote both of them to a front-panel card reader. There is no good way around that dilemma. You could search for a different card reader that uses up only one USB pinout. But I do not know of any adapter that makes more pinouts from one or two.

I assume you have other USB ports on your machine, possibly as actual USB connectors on the back panel. These also are driven by your mobo, but not through 10-pin connectors. If you find yourself running out of usable external standard USB ports, get a USB Hub, preferably self-powered (that is, it comes with its own power supply "brick" you plug into the wall). A hub will multiply one standard USB port into 4, 6, 8 - whatever number it has. Each USB port can supply a certain amount of power to its device. A simple hub has to make all of its plugged in devices share the limited power available from the host port. But a self-powered hub uses the wall adapter to make full power available on every one of its ports.