Sign in with
Your question

Wiping off thermal paste or keep TP?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 3:45:58 AM

My idle temps for my CPU are a bit higher than I like, and I suspect it's because I've used too much thermal paste. (I installed my HSF about 4 months ago)

Can I just take off my CPU HSF and wipe off the excess thermal paste (and maybe reapply a very small amount) or should I just clean off the whole thing and reapply from scratch?

I'm using the Artic Cooling MX-7 Thermal Paste, so I have no idea how hard it will be if I have to clean the entire thing off...

More about : wiping thermal paste

a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 5:08:26 AM

Well it is advisable to clean it off and start anew. It is hard to guarantee that there would be no air bubbles or dust if you don't start from scratch.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
December 1, 2009 1:19:44 PM

Isopropyl alcohol and a piece of coffee filter work nicely.
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2009 1:27:23 PM

yeah , just start anew , u wont have used the entire paste anyway in the first go .
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 1:31:23 PM

And what amount of thermal paste that i should use to applying to HSF? On both sides(cpu and HSF)?
I'm using the GC-Extreme from Gelid solutions thermal paste...
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 2:47:47 PM

Only use enough to draw a short line of paste in the middle of the CPU.

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 6:34:42 PM

I tend to put a very thin layer on my CPU itself, then I put a tiny dot (maybe 1/2 3/4 the size of a rice grain) right in the center of the HSF plate.

Last time I put TP equal to two rice grains on the HSF, and a very thin layer on the CPU, which I think is excessive?
m
l
!