Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bad Q9550

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 6:17:37 AM

I have been through it with figuring out this problem. I have tried a new motherboard, RMA'd the motherboard, different memory, reinstalled my OS, removed everything and reinstalled to check assembly and still no avail. I was getting severe lag when trying to watch movies and having the slightest tasks running in the background.

Decoding a movie would take nearly 2 hours with the defective cpu and now it takes 20 minutes with the replacement cpu, big difference! If I tried to watch a movie and decode at the same time it would literally be a slide show with reverberated sound on the movie. I tested this with the good cpu and it was smooth as silk while doing both.

Luckily I had my main system down to work on my dads pc and decided to finally take the Q9550 out of it and try in my media center system ( the problem system in question) and this fixed the issue.

I know a bad processor is usually the last thing to be considered and I have never had this to be the case until now. Has anyone else done an RMA with Intel for a processor and how easy/hard was it?

I have the cpu box next to the pc it was installed in and it was bought a few months ago at Microcenter so I can get another receipt for proof of purchase easily.

I just thought this might be an interesting read for some peeps out there that might have been through similar issues to find no resolve. If you have done everything like I have you should try another processor and see if there is any performance differences, it's well worth the trouble as you can see...

More about : bad q9550

a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2009 10:47:48 AM

Man that sucks but it does happen, I had a bad Intel CPU a long time ago but it was past its warranty when the problem was discovered.

Retail boxed is guaranteed for 3 yrs, so there should be no quibbling over getting it replaced, was the Q9550 in the Media Center PC OC'd at all?

m
l
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 12:13:17 PM

Never was stable enough to OC so I never tried. There should be no issue with getting an RMA for me luckily. I'm going to call them in 45 minutes when they open to get the RMA started.

Wish me luck! ;) 
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 7:00:24 PM

Wouldn't you know it, Intel wont warranty the cpu unless I can provide the heatsink that came with the cpu. I bought an aftermarket cooler and gave the stock one to a buddy of mine that in turn put it on his pc at work and that pc got shipped to another state.

The only good thing is he knows the IT guy that has it. Lets see if we can get it back. Wish me luck, lol...
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 1, 2009 8:10:51 PM

Do you live in the US?
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
December 1, 2009 8:15:21 PM

A good reason to keep all your packing material. Last week, someone here needed to RMA his LGA775 motherboard and he couldn't find that little plastic socket protector.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 10:54:32 PM

4Ryan6 said:
Do you live in the US?

Yes, I do.

jsc said:
A good reason to keep all your packing material. Last week, someone here needed to RMA his LGA775 motherboard and he couldn't find that little plastic socket protector.

True to that. Who would think you would get a bad processor? Seems next to impossible...

m
l

Best solution

a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 2, 2009 10:33:33 AM

If you want I'll send you mine, its just sitting here in the box, that way your friend won't have to pull from a running machine, PM me your mailing address if that is what you'd like to do. I'm not joking! Ryan
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2009 11:04:40 AM

That's awesome Ryan. Let me get with my friend today and see if he can sucessfully retreive the fan that came with mine. The Intel C/S rep told me the heat sink that came with my cpu has numbers on it and has to match.

I have never noticed this on those stock hs fans. If that be true, I would have to get my friend to retreive mine and if he needs to replace it then I could give him the one you send to me and he can mail it to them.

I will get back to you on that. I will know tonight or at least I should as to what I can do.

Thanks for the generous offer! ;) 
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2009 10:35:40 AM

englandr753 said:
That's awesome Ryan. Let me get with my friend today and see if he can sucessfully retreive the fan that came with mine. The Intel C/S rep told me the heat sink that came with my cpu has numbers on it and has to match.

I have never noticed this on those stock hs fans. If that be true, I would have to get my friend to retreive mine and if he needs to replace it then I could give him the one you send to me and he can mail it to them.

I did not know that, but sure enough the HS# is on the box, with the CPU SN.

Intel is slick on supplying themselves loopholes to get out of honoring a warranty, I would imagine they are fully aware of just how far you can OC their CPUs on the stock heatsink, I wonder if they can tell if the heatsink has actually been used, mine is still in the box, the CPU heatspreader has been lapped, so I have no warranty anyway.

I'm a little curious as to why they match these HS CPU#s, I don't think AMD does that.

Anyhow the offer still stands if you need it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 3, 2009 10:49:49 AM

Thanks again Ryan for your generous offer. I spoke to my friend yesterday and he said the IT guy had no problem working with us on getting it back. I told my friend that I could get a replacement and he said not to worry about it that he will go today to Microcenter or Frys and get one to send. He has to ship it to them, they will make the switch and overnight it back to him. It will probably be about a week long process.

You are right though, Intel is slick on dodging their warranty. I have been educated now and this will never happen again. Someone should put a sticky somewhere or add to a current thread about this issue that literally everyone can fall prey to from Intel.

As many systems as I have built I have never had to deal with this nor have I ever heard of this happening to anyone. Thats my usual luck to be the one to educate myself at my expense, lol. I guess thats the best taught lesson. ;) 

As I said before I definitely appreciate your kind offer, not many people would do that. You let me know if you ever have a need for something and I will try to help.

Thanks again!
Rodney
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 3, 2009 11:07:57 AM

You're Welcome Rodney!

Your idea about a warning to others regarding an Intel CPU RMA is a good one, theres nothing better than your own personal experience, if you want to take the time and write something up about it.

Make it look on the 100% factual FYI side and not a complaint, I'll see about making it a sticky, because I do believe this situation could trip up a lot of people.

Think about it OK. Ryan
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 156 V Motherboard
December 3, 2009 3:49:37 PM

This is relatively straight forward.

I can (now) see someone buying, say, 5 Q9550's and getting better HSF's, not to OC, but to improve cooling in a cramped case. One chip dies. The builder grabs one of the the Intel boxes, pops the dead chip into it, and mails it to Intel. Someone there opens the package and tries to match the serial numbers ...
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 4, 2009 1:38:50 AM

Thanks for all of your replies. I will consider doing that Ryan, I will probably have time Monday or Tuesday of next week to work on it and you can see what you think about it when I'm done.

JSC that scenario could totally happen and probably has a few times already. Good point of view...
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2009 10:04:54 AM

Take whatever time you need and PM me a link to it when you're done.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2009 11:12:25 AM

Do they warranty the use of other HSFs? Or does that reduce you to one year? They may first check for matching S/N and second check to see if you actually used the cooler! Thanks for posting this englandr, I'll be careful with my upcoming build to keep that stock fan in a safe place (as I won't be using it).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 4, 2009 8:25:48 PM

After reading through this thread I realise I'm boned if any of my CPU's go pop as I've been putting the quad core HSF's on to dualies and shipping them out and I have no idea which one went where. :sweat: 

P.S Hi Ry, how's it hanging mate, all good I hope.
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 5, 2009 1:11:07 AM

I'm good Al, I hope all your shipped CPUs never screw up!
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 5, 2009 1:21:34 AM

@ englandr753

Have you tried air dusting the socket and reinstalling the bad 9550, if there was a piece of lint or hair the way the socket is designed it could actually insulate the contact point.

Just curious because it wouldn't take much in the perfect position to cause a contact malfunction between the socket fingers and the contact points on the CPU itself.

I would at least do a serious magnifying glass inspection of the socket and base of the CPU to see if there was any reason for bad contact, and reseat it and try it one last time.

Just a thought.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2009 11:10:32 AM

It looks like many people are in this same situation and don't know it.

I only tried a different cpu, the same exact chip and it worked perfect. I am going to test the cpu in question in my gaming rig after my weekend work schedule is over. It is possible some debree was at fault and I do have a magnifying glass setup I use to do detailed work, I will look at the cpu before the installation. Thanks for the suggestion.

Can you believe I got my hsf back yesterday already? That IT guy didnt mess around!

I will check this out Monday and if the cpu checks out fine in my gaming rig I will drop the RMA idea as it could have been debree. If it is still laggy then I will call Intel back and give them my case # and get the RMA rolling!

I will update the thread Monday after I find out which way to go.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 5, 2009 11:14:40 AM

EXT64 said:
Do they warranty the use of other HSFs? Or does that reduce you to one year? They may first check for matching S/N and second check to see if you actually used the cooler! Thanks for posting this englandr, I'll be careful with my upcoming build to keep that stock fan in a safe place (as I won't be using it).

I was thinking the same thing you are asking yesterday on my way to work. Why would Intel warranty an unboxed cpu for 1 year but void the warranty on a boxed cpu if you dont have the original hsf? I was thinking they should at least honor a 1 year unboxed warranty. That would make sense but in the corporate world it usually don't work out that way unfortunately.

The Intel c/s rep told me the warranty would be void, not pro rated to 1 year.
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2009 6:39:58 PM

Good news and bad rolled up into one, the hsf my friend shipped back to me obviously was for the good Q9550 that is now in my media center rig. I haven't had time to fire up the gaming rig to test the bad cpu to see if it will work in that system. I will do that one day this week and post back.

If it doesn't work I may be up the creek w/o a poop paddle. I am still trying to figure out where the other hsf was used. I'm thinking its a lost cause at this point.

I'll post back soon...
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 10, 2009 5:38:21 AM

Good news without the bad news. I finally reassembled my gaming rig tonight and everything is perfectly fine. I forgot to reset the BIOS to factory settings and I had doubts that it would boot with the previous settings OC'ing the good cpu @ 3.6ghz but it booted with no issues. i have gamed and all seems smooth and stable. I can only blame the problem as a seating issue or debree on the cpu. I had reseated the cpu at least twice on the original motherboard and also once on the rma'd board.

What can I say? At least its fixed now and I didn't go through an RMA process with Intel.

I still plan to make a thread talking about the hsf warranty concerns when I get a chance.

Thanks for everyones input... ;) 
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2009 9:44:42 AM

Wow thats great!

Here's a debacle for you, the HSF I have in my possession, does not match the SN on the box it came in from Intel?

Wonder what Intels response to that would be, it came as a boxed setup?

Of course as I've previously said I've lapped my CPU heat spreader so I have no warranty, but the SNs don't match, so I wouldn't have had a warranty anyway?

Its got to be a screw up on Intels packaging department but according to what you've discovered, I'd be out of RMA options even if I hadn't lapped the CPU.

I wonder how many of these packaged boxed Retail CPU SNs don't actually match?

And I would imagine this is going to be Intels policy on all the new socket versions of retail boxed CPUs.
m
l
December 14, 2009 11:52:01 AM

I think maybe they aren't matching as for each number per boxed set, but maybe in intels system the diffrent numbers were packaged togather.... example intel packs 11112223333 box with 432423423423423 heatsink and those are boxed,labeld and warrentied togather.... instead of.... 111122223333 box with 111122223333 heatsink. I'm not sure as i havent looked at my serial for either?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 14, 2009 12:55:09 PM

Sathsayin said:
I think maybe they aren't matching as for each number per boxed set, but maybe in intels system the diffrent numbers were packaged togather.... example intel packs 11112223333 box with 432423423423423 heatsink and those are boxed,labeld and warrentied togather.... instead of.... 111122223333 box with 111122223333 heatsink. I'm not sure as i havent looked at my serial for either?

The serial numbers on the processor and hsf aren't identical but they are supposed to match what is printed on the box the pair were packaged in. You need your original packaging to check these numbers to see if they match, otherwise you have to call Intel and read the numbers to them and they will tell you if they are a matched pair in their system...
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
December 14, 2009 1:31:30 PM

englandr753 said:
otherwise you have to call Intel and read the numbers to them and they will tell you if they are a matched pair in their system...

Ahhh Catch 22
m
l
!