Sign in with
Your question

Make my ide drive as slave and sata as master

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2009 6:38:33 AM

I want to install my os on sata drive and make my previous ide drive as slave,, how can i do that,, when i tried i was able to install os on ide but still my ide drive was master,, how can I cahnge this to slave
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 8:13:02 AM

There is no "master-slave" setting or jumper for sata drives. The only thing you could do is change the boot priority to look at your sata drive in the BIOS.
December 1, 2009 9:07:52 AM

When u install the OS on this S-ata drive just disconnect the IDE hdd from the Pc. I don't now the specs of the computer ,but this will work for sure. Maybe u have storage in bios configuration as IDE legacy.Do no what bios u have,anyway...if u don't now how to setup and tweak the bios..just disconnect the IDE HDD do this fresh install on S-ata drive and then reconnect the second drive.
When comes to boot,if by some whatever motives is not booting from the S-ata drive,after u connect that IDE drive,then u must set the boot sequence from the bios.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 1, 2009 1:17:07 PM

I believe when you say "master" what you mean is that the OS has assigned the IDE as the "C" drive. This seems to happen every time I try to install a fresh OS with two HDDs installed. I learned the hard way to install an OS with only one HDD running and plug in the other later. As has been stated the term "master" & "slave" are no longer appropriate for SATA drives so set your IDE for "single". I've been running this same configuration for some time with no problems.
December 1, 2009 3:30:54 PM

Changing the boot sequence in the bios should be enough. Just pay attention that many bioses have one menu for boot priority and another one for HDD priority.
!