Swap graphics card from 1 leptop to another?

finality1

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
HI, i want to take the nvidia 8400 graphics card from my dell xps and put it in my alienware A51 which has an ATI card.
Please can i have step by step guide on how to do this?

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Usually, you cannot do this, as the graphics card for laptops are soldered onto the motherboard. Otherwise the VGA ports on the back/side would be in different places, or it would not fit properly in different cases. Furthermore because the whole point of a laptop is to be small, they likely wont make removable parts. Its just not practical.

Sorry, but youll have to stick to what you have.

ainarssems

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2008
You can sometimes swap different video cards between the same model/series of laptops, but not between different laptops as cooling solutions are different and possibly also connection to motherboard.

Dell now owns Alienware so they could share the same design and it might be possible to change video cards between some of their models.

Low end video cards like 8400 are normally soldered on the motherboard and not replacable at all even between the same models. Only high end videocards plug in the motherboard and are actually removable.

N.Broekhuijsen

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009

ah, yes, I forgot to mention that.

oh and dell owns alienware now?
Then WHY do they still have the XPS series and Alienware? They both serve the same purpose... wouldn't it be more expensive to produce a lot of these things differently (probably only casing though, electronics are probably the same)