Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyTurkishBoy

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
I recently got my PC and I overclocked my CPU to 3.6GHz. Upon later inspection of CPU-Z, I noticed that my RAM was running at a bit more than half the frequency it was supposed to run at. In AMD Overdrive, I can bring up the HT Ref Clock to the max (400 MHz) which would bring up my RAM frequency to roughly 1333 MHz. If I lowered the CPU multiplier to 9x, then I also get my CPU frequency at 3.6, like I want it. However, my PC crashes after even a slight increase to HT Ref Clock. Later I went to the BIOs and looking at RAM timings, I realized my RAM was running at DDR3-800, which I brought up to DDR3-1333. However this accomplished nothing as it was still running at 750 MHz.
Here is my CPU-Z Validation
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2120202
Anybody know how to fix this? Right now I'm just experimenting in the BIOS but nothing seems to help. :(

Solution
I believe what you're looking at is the single ram speed. Since it is ddr, (double data rate), your actual speed is 1500MHz = 750 X 2. Go into the cpu-z and under the memory tab look at the dram frequency - It should say 750.0 MHz. If that's the case you are running as stated above ^ ^ 1500MHz.

boris20

Distinguished
May 6, 2009

I just noticed the same thing and was looking into the issue myself.

suteck

Distinguished
I believe what you're looking at is the single ram speed. Since it is ddr, (double data rate), your actual speed is 1500MHz = 750 X 2. Go into the cpu-z and under the memory tab look at the dram frequency - It should say 750.0 MHz. If that's the case you are running as stated above ^ ^ 1500MHz.

Solution

suteck

Distinguished
Well marianomdq, if your memory is running at 1333 MHz, (which is a stock setting), then the speed you will see in cpu-z would be 667 MHz, since DDR doubles that to 1333 MHZ. And the OP only asked why his cpu-z was showing 750 MHz and not 1500 MHz after the blck adjustment for the cpu overclock. That's what my explanation was for. I answered 1 of his 2 questions.

Now, if you're asking if running 1333 memory at 1500 is good or bad then I say it's good as long as 1, your system runs stable, and 2, your memory is not getting too hot from the increased voltage usually associated with higher memory clock speeds.

As for your guess that it's wrong??? NOT. If you still think so then please tell me what is wrong about my answer and possibly what the correct answer SHOULD be so the next person that reads this will have a better understanding on how to correct or understand their memory problems/questions.

Do you have a specific question about your memory and overclocking and speeds? Let us know and maybe we can help you with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.