I’m a novice (who has at least done a lot of research) building a new gaming rig next weekend and looking for some case cooling guidance. I don’t really want to get into a full blown water cooling system at this time. Below are my specs (keep in mind I got most of these components either free or at a huge discount from industry contacts/associations...I know some is overkill)…
Current cooling plan and questions…
1) CPU…I plan on trying to OC the CPU up to ~4.6GHz
• Will the CM Hyper 212 really do the trick? I’ve read it will, but…
• If the 212 will work, I plan on configuring my fan design like option 3 in http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cooling-airflow-hea... to keep it off the RAM slots.
• If not, thoughts on the Corsair H70/80 or H100? I’d put the H70/80 in ether the rear or the top-rear exhaust spot. If I go with the H100 it’d go on top I suppose?
2) GPU’s…already OC, no plan to go further.
• Do I need to add 2-4 120mm side panel fans blowing on the cards?
3) RAM…potentially OC but doubtful
• Are the heatsinks that come on the RAM adequate?
• If I end up needing to go with the low profile version of this RAM due to a CPU fan do I need to (can I even) add something to cool them?
4) Are the fans that are in this case good enough, or should I look at replacing them with higher quality fans?
• What are the quietest and most reliable 120/200mm fans to replace/add to this case? I will want LED color…red or blue.
5) What’s the best way to control all of these fans and regulate temperature?
• The case comes with a fan controller, but it’ll only control 4 fans. What the best way (is there a way) to control them all and monitor the temperatures of the CPU/GPUs/RAM? I’ve looked at some of the digital options, but so many get bad reviews...
These are all of the questions I can think of for now. Any advice based on experience or overall knowledge would be much appreciated.
Not sure what I'm doing wrong to not get any responses on any of this, but I did figure out the answers to most of my questions over the past week. Still wondering about the best practice for overall fan/temp control...connect as many as possible to mobo and the rest to the case fan controller? Guess 'll just play around with it and see what works best...