Sign in with
Your question

Evga 9800 gt + antec ea650---new PSU or GPU

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2009 3:44:20 PM

so.........i built a new system months ago and never really got around to using it very much. when i did i noticed that PSU was very loud...

i have been using it much more in recent months and it's starting to become a bother.

my current system is:

core 2 quad q6600
gigabyte GA-EP45 UD3R lga 775 intel p45 mobo
xigmatek hdt-s1283 120mm rifle cpu cooler
(2) x lite-on 22x dvd burner
western digital caviar green 750gb
western digital caviar black 640gb
samsung spinpoint 40gb
EVGA GeForce 9800 GT hybrid power
patriot viper 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR2 1066
120mm rear fan
80mm side fan
vista home premium x64

i RMAd the PSU to antec and got a new one. same loudness. after talking with one of the support techs i was told that my GPU is overloading the PSU and that is why it is running so loud. i completely overlooked the spec when i bought the GPU but it says 12v 26a.

to get my system to run more quiet, my question is:

1. do i change out the fan in the PSU?

2. do i buy a new PSU?

3. do i buy a new graphics card?

any input is more than appreciated.
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2009 4:05:18 PM

What PSU do you have, I don't see it listed above?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2009 4:09:48 PM

You can't change the fan in the PSU, it's generally a bad idea. You'll void the warranty if you try it also. You have a lot of devices attached in that system, what kind of case do you have? In addition to large power requirements, you have plenty of components confining your interior space, and generating lots of heat. I see you have 2 fans already, do you have a front mounted one as well?

If your internal case temperature is higher than it should be, your PSU is going to have to work that much harder to keep itself cool. Optimizing aiflow would be a good approach to start with.

Your cheapest option to try I'd say is get a front mounted fan if your case has a place for it in front of the hard drives. Adding yet another source of sound seems counterintuitive, but more fans working quietly is still better than less fans being very noisy.

If you don't already have your build in a roomy full tower, or roomy mid-tower, I'd consider making a change there. A bit pricey, but a worthy investment if your case isn't cutting it.

Better PSU would be my next choice, Antec makes pretty good PSUs, the only ones I'd say are better quality are Corsair, Seasonic, maybe Enermax.

New graphics card probably won't solve your noise problem, the 9800s are a bit greedy when it comes to power, but they don't consume as much power as the newer generation cards you'd likely be getting. Unless you were willing to take a performance hit by going with a low power GPU, I wouldn't make any changes there.
m
l
Related resources
a c 90 B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2009 4:15:18 PM

lostinoside said:

i RMAd the PSU to antec and got a new one. same loudness. after talking with one of the support techs i was told that my GPU is overloading the PSU and that is why it is running so loud. i completely overlooked the spec when i bought the GPU but it says 12v 26a.
You need to throw down the BS flag on the Antec techs.
No way the 9800GT is at fault for the loud PSU. The Nvidia Spec for that video card is a 400W PSU or 450W for 2 in SLI.
That "Hybrid Power" option only means that if your MB had a built in graphics chip the 9800GT will let it handle 2D graphics to save power by going to sleep.
m
l
September 11, 2009 4:29:08 PM

sorry...

the PSU is an antec earthwatts ea650

my case is an antec sx-1040-b

and i don't recall if i have a front fan or not...

quoted from new egg

antec earthwatts EA650

+3.3V@25A,+5V@25A,+12V1@22A,+12V2@22A,
+12V3@25A,-12V@0.5A,+5VSB@2.5A

and regarding the 9800 gt

Minimum of a 400 Watt power supply.
(Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 26 Amp Amps.)
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2009 4:39:58 PM

wow, that's a classic case design. My Pentium III system I had back in college used that same case. It's good that it has a lot of room even if it is a bit dated. If I remember right, the front HD cages don't leave much space between drives. They don't come standard with fans in front of the drive bay, but there's a place to mount them there.

Also, seeing as your 12V rail is split into 3, it's not ideal for your setup. Get a Corsair 650W that has plenty of Amps on a single 12v rail.
m
l
September 11, 2009 4:45:37 PM

Is the PSU fan loud even if you run your system with the side panel off on your case?
m
l
September 11, 2009 4:50:50 PM

it's loud no matter what...

the antec guy advised me to unplug all components except for 1 molex device, short the PSU and then wait it to reset. look to see if it's powering the device and what the sound level of the PSU fan is...

if it's not loud, i'm overloading it. blah blah blah

i think, in the future, i'd like to run an sli system. so i need a good/better PSU before another/new graphics card
m
l
September 11, 2009 5:00:21 PM

Here is a Antec EA 650 review over @ Jonny Guru
Even at full power in the hot box the reviewer said the PSU ran strong and quiet. Check page 2.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2009 5:00:45 PM

Then you should probably get a Corsair 750TX, that will more than meet your power needs, and be ready for SLI with current generation cards.
m
l
!