Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Need Active X to do Windows XP updates

Last response: in Windows XP
February 18, 2012 8:23:03 AM

Hello,
I have Windows XP update set to automatic but recently my updates are not installing and are stacking up. After going to the MS update web page, it wants me to install Active-X, but when I right click on a blank section of the information bar, Active X is not indicated, therefore I am unable to update Windows. I have reinstalled IE 8 and enabled Active X in the Internet Security control panel. Any suggestions?

More about : active windows updates

February 27, 2012 8:21:53 AM

Zapicles said:
You can download it manually here

http://download.cnet.com/windows/activex/?filter=os%3D2...

Thanks, Zapicles, for your reply to my problem. I clicked on the link that you provided and downloaded and installed "cnet2_file-download-activex_exe.exe" but I still am unable to access windows update. Any suggestions? Thanks
Score
Related resources
February 27, 2012 9:30:43 AM

check your Time Date and Time zone are all correct have found this to be the problem many times

or

you could try reseting internet explorer under internet options and advanced if i remember right
Score
February 27, 2012 6:58:15 PM

mrfatbox said:
check your Time Date and Time zone are all correct have found this to be the problem many times

or

you could try reseting internet explorer under internet options and advanced if i remember right

Thanks for your suggestions. My time, date, and zone were all correct and resetting internet explorer did not help either.
Score
February 28, 2012 6:07:53 AM

copy to a batch file or type each one in to the run box one at a time and press enter this should reset windows update

regsvr32 /s wuapi.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng1.dll
regsvr32 /s wuaueng.dll
regsvr32 /s wups.dll
regsvr32 /s wups2.dll
regsvr32 /s wuweb.dll
regsvr32 /s wucltui.dll
Score
February 29, 2012 2:04:37 AM

Thanks again. I entered all the dll's as listed and went to "Windows Update". Again it states that the website will not display without the ActiveX control. Once again as directed, I right click on the bar just below the address bar and the context menu says nothing about ActiveX, therefore there is no link for me to click on to install ActiveX and I still am unable to access my updates. At the same time, every time I shut down my computer, it states that it is installing updates and will shut down on completion, but after so many tries, my computer shuts down but no updates. These two conditions, I believe are related, but I'm still scratching my head as to a solution. Thanks again for taking time out of your day to help me with this dilemma.
Score
March 2, 2012 9:58:05 PM

So far, none of the suggestions have solved my problem of not being able to access windows update. Any other suggestions out there?
Score
!