Thinkpad T42 : Flexview 15" vs. 14" screens ?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2004 3:18:31 AM

Hi all,

I was just about to order a T41P thinkpad (14" 1400x1050 SXGA+
display) with an educational discount, when I learnt that some new T42
models feature a 15" flexview screen that has a much larger viewing
angle and also more contrast and brightness. The 14" T42 models have
apparently the same displays as the T41 contrary to what the IBM web
site says.

I am a bit nitpicking about my screens so that was enough to stop me
and make me wonder if I should not wait a couple of months. I browsed
numerous messages in forums and although I found a lot of them stating
that the flexview display was much better, there were not many where
people had actually seen the two types of displays side by side. When
this was the case, it seemed that viewing angle set aside, the
difference was not that important. Now I do not need someone else
looking at my screen so...

Thus I would like to know if there someone here that can give his
impression on the 14" 1400x1050 screen of the T41 models as for
brightness, constrast and clearness ? How does it compare to other
displays in the industry ? I have heard conflicting reports : some
said that the display was a bit dim, other desscribed it as bright and
clear.

Any first-hand experience will much appreciated. If the 14" 1400x1050
screen is of high quality I will probably stay with the T41P. Thanks
in advance.

--
Marc
Anonymous

Marc Lefranc wrote:

> I was just about to order a T41P thinkpad (14" 1400x1050 SXGA+
> display) with an educational discount, when I learnt that some new T42
> models feature a 15" flexview screen that has a much larger viewing
> angle and also more contrast and brightness.

Not answering your question, sorry, but I'd like to also know how they
fit a 15" screen on the T4x body. Is the entire body of a 15" T42
bigger than the 14" one? In other words, do they have different
chassis?

--
da
~~

On Thu, 20 May 2004 22:06:49 -0400,
"Donkey Agony" <root@[127.0.0.1]> wrote :

> Marc Lefranc wrote:
>
> > I was just about to order a T41P thinkpad (14" 1400x1050 SXGA+
> > display) with an educational discount, when I learnt that some new T42
> > models feature a 15" flexview screen that has a much larger viewing
> > angle and also more contrast and brightness.
>
> Not answering your question, sorry, but I'd like to also know how they
> fit a 15" screen on the T4x body. Is the entire body of a 15" T42
> bigger than the 14" one? In other words, do they have different
> chassis?

Yes. The detailed specs on IBM's web site indicate that the 15" T42s
are a little wider, thicker and heavier.

--
Marc
May 21, 2004 11:07:28 PM

I haven't seen a 15" flexview screen but I do have a T41p with 1400x1050 14"
screen/64mb Radeon and I do like it. If you turn up the backlight it's
really bright and vivid.

15" 1600 x 1200 screen available too with 128mb Radeon! Whoah....

news:p 6rfz9uu7a0.fsf@free.fr...

!