Win XP Pro Master File Table

Help, help, help !

I've been having a problem with decreasingly slow
startups on my wife's PC. I just error-checked drive C
and then defragged it -- the report stated that the
Master File Table was at 99% capacity. Do you think this
might be a problem with super slow start ups -- if so,
how do I bang up the space allocated for this ?

Thanks for your time.

Harry
4 answers Last reply
More about master file table

    How big is the hard drive and how much space is in use or available? Sounds
    like the drive is almost full.

    "Harry" <boatperson@comcast.net> wrote in message
    > Help, help, help !
    >
    > I've been having a problem with decreasingly slow
    > startups on my wife's PC. I just error-checked drive C
    > and then defragged it -- the report stated that the
    > Master File Table was at 99% capacity. Do you think this
    > might be a problem with super slow start ups -- if so,
    > how do I bang up the space allocated for this ?
    >
    > Thanks for your time.
    >
    > Harry

    Jerry

    Its a Maxtor 60GB drive with 17GB used and 40GB free;
    88.5k files

    The MFT frag stats are as follows:

    Total MFT size = 91MB
    MFT record count = 92,394
    Percent MFT in use = 99%
    Total MFT fragments = 234

    The PC is a bit long-in-the-tooth -- 1.3GHz; P-4; 1GB RAM
    (Rambus highspeed); HP Pavillion/Intel/etc. The only
    other comment I would offer is that she uses this PC
    mainly for photo stuff and tends to take most of her pix
    in high resolution, so she's constantly whipping around
    lots of large files -- the defrag took over an hour to
    complete.

    Harry

    Reboot into Safe mode and compare the start time. Does the Defrag Analyzer
    recommend to defrag?

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q174619
    How NTFS Reserves Space for its Master File Table (MFT)

    Your MFT is very fragmented (234 fragments). On both of
    my machines, the MFT is in 2 fragments. I run Diskkeeper
    8.0, which allows you to perform a "boot time" defrag,
    and defrags the MFT as well.

    Bill

Configuration Microsoft Windows XP