Can putting in a second sata hard drive change the boot sequence

timothy6766

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I put in a friends sata hard drive into my computer to see if i could access it to save some of his data. He got the evil blue
screen an was hoping to not lose his data. So i was trying help out. I plugged in his hard drive into my 2nd sata port on the
mobo and started up my computer. Went into bios to make sure it showed up. It stated that i Had two sata hard drives both
sata 1 master and sata 2 master. I couldn't change the second sata( my friends HDD ) to a slave. so I just move on and exited. Then i got a Boot failer. Wasn't until i plug my Sata HDD, which was in Sata 1 port on Mobo, to Sata 2 port that i could get my computer to boot up as normal.

So has that happend before? If so can i corect it and get my HDD back on to Sata 1 port on mobo?

SATA doesn't have master/slave as they each get their own port. You should be able to attach your hard drive to the sata1 port, go into the bios's boot order and select your hard drive as the first boot device. Sometimes a bios will have two boot options:

A boot sequence which can be floppy, cd rom, hard dive, and such, and a boot order, where if you were to select hard drive, this option will let you select which hard drive to use to boot from.

When you have more than one disk, you can specify which one is the boot disk. Since you didn't check that setting, it picked up the last one that was added.