Sign in with
Your question

Fan & Heatsink that comes with Core i7-860

Last response: in Components
December 1, 2009 5:45:16 PM

Hi,
I got a new core i7-860 and was going through the reviews of the fan/heatsink that comes in the box. People seem to be unhappy with it. Even in intel's website, people are complaining about it: http://communities.intel.com/message/73730

Does anyone have any similar experience with i7-860 fan/heatsinks? is it good enough for the cpu? Or should I get a new heatsin/fan from a 3rd party? If I need to indeed get another fan/heatsink, could you please suggest me some?

Thanks!

More about : fan heatsink core 860

December 1, 2009 6:31:30 PM

The one that came with my i5 750 (should be the same) does look kind of weak, but should be acceptable for stock speeds. I got the CM Hyper 212 Plus to use instead of it though to keep it cooler, quieter, and in case I OC later on.
December 1, 2009 7:18:34 PM

I see. So if I use the the heatsink that came with the CPU for now then would it be possible to change the heat sink at a later point? How easy/hard is it to change it given that we pretty much paste it on top of the CPU?
Related resources
December 1, 2009 7:34:55 PM

You don't paste it...

Thermal paste isn't really a glue.
December 1, 2009 7:57:41 PM

If you are not going to overclock the CPU then the stock sink is fine, if this is not the case then you need an aftermarket cooler...
December 1, 2009 11:02:35 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I dont have any plans to overclock for now. So it looks like I should be fine with the stock sink. But in case if I change my mind later and want to overclock, is it easy to pull out the sink and replace it with a better aftermarket cooler? I have never taken the sink out of the cpu and so I am not sure how this thing works.
December 2, 2009 4:16:16 AM

Thanks a lot for all the replies. I appreciate all your help. I love how the Zalman 9900a looks with the led!!! I wish it was a little cheaper :(  I guess I will stick the the stock cooler for now
December 2, 2009 3:12:50 PM

i have an i5 , is very much ok for stock clocks .
!