What type of graphics slot do I have?

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I want to get a new graphics card but I need to know what type of graphics slot I have. Could someone help me to find out what type I have?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
There are several ways to do it.

Identify your motherboard (look for brand and numbers on the motherboard itself) and google what you find and look for specifications.

Download and install a free program like CPUID, it will tell you what you have.

Or, you can use google images, search AGP and PCI-E graphics cards, and compare what you see to what you have.

Its the internet. Utilize it.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
I have downloaded GPU-z and it told me that I have a PCI-E but I think that I have a second slot. Is there any way of finding out what it is (the empty slot is white).

Gulli

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2008

I've never heard of a board that has a PCI-E slot and an AGP slot, but boards with one PCI-E slot and one or more PCI slots are very common.
Anyway, you've got a PCI-E slot, congratulations, that's the only slot you'll wanna use when it comes to graphic cards.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

There are indeed boards with both PCI-E and AGP slots, but they were not commonly available in North America. When I was shopping around for a board to extend the life of my x1650 a few years back, I had the option of importing a biostar from europe, but it was prohibitive for my budget at the time. At the time, the research I did lead me to believe that the boards were buggy, and it was a good choice not to go for it.

To be sure, you really should find your motherboard make and model, and google it's specifications.

Arzhur

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2009
One PCI
One PCI Express x16 graphics (for a graphics card)
Two PCI Express x1 (for cards such as network, sound, tv-tuner)