Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What Next?

Last response: in Systems
September 11, 2009 8:16:58 PM

Ok, so I built this computer about a month ago and it's pretty badass. I'm gaming with it and doing some light photoshop. Where do I go from here?

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.66MHz
MOBO: MSI x58 PRO 8.xx BIOS for SLI
RAM:6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz OCZ Intel Extreme Series DDR3 PC12800 @ XMP Profile 2 (1800MHz 9-9-9-28)
HDD: 160GB 7200 RPM WD HDD scrapped from an older system.
GPU: BFG GTX 275 OCE @ 731MHz core clock and 1289MHz for memory
Xigmatek Dark Knight
Coolermaster Storm Scout Mid Tower ATX case
630W XION PSU (Performs fantastically with everything under load, will upgrade if I add more hardware tho)

Basically, I know people are gonna say upgrade the HDD but for now, the HDD isn't going to make my system perform exceptionally better for what i'm doing ATM. I want to wait for the SSD market to mature a little bit before I buy into the technology. This thing EATS through Crysis on very high and handles Supreme Commander like a pro. Btw, why don't they bench CPUs on Supreme Commander? Get to a point where there is rediculous unit numbers and bench a cpu on that. ANYWAYS, I was looking into liquid cooling but my DK is keeping my temps in the 30-70s. It rarely passes 50°C unless i'm benching or playing SC with a high number of units. I'd rather not dabble into liquid because my temps are very good cept my GPU. I plan on getting some megas for $69.99 my CPU to keep it icy. I'd rather pay that than $200+ for a decent liquid cooled system.

Gosh, that thing gets SO hot. I will probably invent in a HR-03 GTX or something of that nature. A liquid cooled system just seems like a lot of wasted cash on a negligible decrease on temps. Fan noise isn't that big a deal if you are playing a game or listening to music, and i'm always doing either.

My question is, Tom's Hardware buddies, where do I go from here?

More about : question

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 11, 2009 8:29:00 PM

I don't see the need to go anywhere outside of adding a SSD to your current system.

Some options you could look into:
  • You could go with another BFG GTX 275 for better gaming but it sounds like you are maxing everything as is...
  • You could up your monitor resolution (24"+) to provide better gaming experience, if you aren't currently running at that level...
  • You could get into case moding... paint a unique image, cut out a unique design... etc. for your case...
  • You could save up and build another PC using the Core i5 with the new ATI 58xx cards...
  • You could get into L2N for extreme overclocking and benchmarking...
    a b B Homebuilt system
    September 11, 2009 8:50:37 PM

Quote:
    You could get into L2N for extreme overclocking and benchmarking...

:lol: 

@OP:
    1. What temps do you get with P95?

2. PSU is LOW QUALITY. That's the first thing I would replace. Get a good Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec or OCZ. Your PSU WILL die in about a year down the road and may take something along with it to the land of no return.

Quote:
    A liquid cooled system just seems like a lot of wasted cash on a negligible decrease on temps.

lol, I run 48-50C under load (60C under P95) with my GTZ on the 920 @3.8Ghz with a 480 rad with just 2x 120mm fans. I could get to 4.3Ghz (did it, but not P95 stable; crashed in 4hrs) easy but motherboard is a limitation( too much vdroop) and I don't need that much speed anyways.
    m
    l
    Related resources
    September 18, 2009 2:43:08 PM

tecmo34 said:
    I don't see the need to go anywhere outside of adding a SSD to your current system.

Some options you could look into:
  • You could go with another BFG GTX 275 for better gaming but it sounds like you are maxing everything as is...
  • You could up your monitor resolution (24"+) to provide better gaming experience, if you aren't currently running at that level...
  • You could get into case moding... paint a unique image, cut out a unique design... etc. for your case...
  • You could save up and build another PC using the Core i5 with the new ATI 58xx cards...
  • You could get into L2N for extreme overclocking and benchmarking...

• LOL, ended up finding an open box, deal of the day on micro center and got an Intel x25-M 80gb SSD for 135.46. It's AMAZING but thanks for the input.
    m
    l
    a b B Homebuilt system
    September 18, 2009 8:36:50 PM

^G2 or G1 SSD?
    m
    l
    !