Solved

What Next?

Ok, so I built this computer about a month ago and it's pretty badass. I'm gaming with it and doing some light photoshop. Where do I go from here?

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.66MHz
MOBO: MSI x58 PRO 8.xx BIOS for SLI
RAM:6GB (3x2GB) 1600MHz OCZ Intel Extreme Series DDR3 PC12800 @ XMP Profile 2 (1800MHz 9-9-9-28)
HDD: 160GB 7200 RPM WD HDD scrapped from an older system.
GPU: BFG GTX 275 OCE @ 731MHz core clock and 1289MHz for memory
Xigmatek Dark Knight
Coolermaster Storm Scout Mid Tower ATX case
630W XION PSU (Performs fantastically with everything under load, will upgrade if I add more hardware tho)

Basically, I know people are gonna say upgrade the HDD but for now, the HDD isn't going to make my system perform exceptionally better for what i'm doing ATM. I want to wait for the SSD market to mature a little bit before I buy into the technology. This thing EATS through Crysis on very high and handles Supreme Commander like a pro. Btw, why don't they bench CPUs on Supreme Commander? Get to a point where there is rediculous unit numbers and bench a cpu on that. ANYWAYS, I was looking into liquid cooling but my DK is keeping my temps in the 30-70s. It rarely passes 50°C unless i'm benching or playing SC with a high number of units. I'd rather not dabble into liquid because my temps are very good cept my GPU. I plan on getting some megas for $69.99 my CPU to keep it icy. I'd rather pay that than $200+ for a decent liquid cooled system.

Gosh, that thing gets SO hot. I will probably invent in a HR-03 GTX or something of that nature. A liquid cooled system just seems like a lot of wasted cash on a negligible decrease on temps. Fan noise isn't that big a deal if you are playing a game or listening to music, and i'm always doing either.

My question is, Tom's Hardware buddies, where do I go from here?
4
answers
Last reply
Best Answer
More about what next
  1. Best answer
    I don't see the need to go anywhere outside of adding a SSD to your current system.

    Some options you could look into:
    You could go with another BFG GTX 275 for better gaming but it sounds like you are maxing everything as is...
    You could up your monitor resolution (24"+) to provide better gaming experience, if you aren't currently running at that level...
    You could get into case moding... paint a unique image, cut out a unique design... etc. for your case...
    You could save up and build another PC using the Core i5 with the new ATI 58xx cards...
    You could get into L2N for extreme overclocking and benchmarking...
  2. Quote:
    You could get into L2N for extreme overclocking and benchmarking...

    :lol:

    @OP:
    1. What temps do you get with P95?

    2. PSU is LOW QUALITY. That's the first thing I would replace. Get a good Corsair, PC Power & Cooling, Antec or OCZ. Your PSU WILL die in about a year down the road and may take something along with it to the land of no return.

    3.
    Quote:
    A liquid cooled system just seems like a lot of wasted cash on a negligible decrease on temps.

    lol, I run 48-50C under load (60C under P95) with my GTZ on the 920 @3.8Ghz with a 480 rad with just 2x 120mm fans. I could get to 4.3Ghz (did it, but not P95 stable; crashed in 4hrs) easy but motherboard is a limitation( too much vdroop) and I don't need that much speed anyways.
  3. tecmo34 said:
    I don't see the need to go anywhere outside of adding a SSD to your current system.

    Some options you could look into:
    You could go with another BFG GTX 275 for better gaming but it sounds like you are maxing everything as is...
    You could up your monitor resolution (24"+) to provide better gaming experience, if you aren't currently running at that level...
    You could get into case moding... paint a unique image, cut out a unique design... etc. for your case...
    You could save up and build another PC using the Core i5 with the new ATI 58xx cards...
    You could get into L2N for extreme overclocking and benchmarking...



    LOL, ended up finding an open box, deal of the day on micro center and got an Intel x25-M 80gb SSD for 135.46. It's AMAZING but thanks for the input.
  4. ^G2 or G1 SSD?
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems