How to ask to build a Server

Upendra09

Distinguished
If you are looking to build your own server then you should probably post here than the building section, you can get faster, more experienced replies here
use the following template to format your questions, this way people can give you faster answers

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

BUDGET RANGE: (e.g.: 600-800) Before / After Rebates and if it is flexible

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: HPC, Number crunching, gaming, storage, rendering, etc.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: (e.g.: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS) **Include Power Supply Make & Model If Re-using**

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: (e.g.: Grand Fenwick)

PARTS PREFERENCES: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes / No / Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes / No / Maybe (mainly for gaming)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: (e.g.: 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1440x900, 1600x1200, 1680x1050, 1920x1080, 1920x1200) (For rendering)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: (e.g.: I would like a quiet PC, runs cool etc.)

Form Factor: Tower, Rack, Mainframe etc.

As you can see it is a slightly modified version of the builds section

Upendra09

Distinguished
Servers have to be a lot more stable and faster than normal computers

the internet is a collection of servers. If it was a collection of computers it would so slow that looking up a book would be tons faster.

and companies need storage servers and for rendering models, the human genome project would have taken 100+ years on any normal computer

and think about gaming, what if every computer had to host these maps, then you would get FPSs in the negatives

servers are more hardcore, faster and rugged than Desktops and laptops.

Yeah, the parts have the same base but are expected to run 24/7 for a long time. To achieve this they do things like picking higher binned parts to using ECC buffered ram, etc, depending on app. The first thing you will notice in the server market is that the parts cost more.

endorphines

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2008
the emphases would be put on stability and reliability over performance. plus, you would probably not reccomend a 5870 in a server...
so xeon/opteron, high end RAID controllers & NICs, ECC ram, etc.

+1 :).

Reliability is a major consideration for a server.

Can he be depended on for showing up on time, donning his apron and flipping those burgers cleanly & without dropping them on the germ-infested floor? And for not adding ingredients to the "special sauce" bottles in the storeroom? :D.

Oops, sorry - I guess I got Upendra's day job mixed up with this section of THG :whistle:

/jk

Yeah, servers/workstations can be really complex to design. When I was planning for a major upgrade at work, it was really hard to match all the criteria, and even harder to watch as contracts/companies blew off many of them. Worked out in the end, I guess.