Seagate external hard drive

Yesterday, I started up my computer and an error popped up very quick. It said that there was a corrupted file on my hard drive and windows 7 could not be launch. I let it run its diagnosis and it told me to reformat my hard drive to before the corrupted file was added. I was kind of nervous to do that, but I did and everything worked out well. However, it got me thinking about what if I had lost all of my iTunes and Steam purchases. Now I'm in the market for an external hard drive to back up my purchases.

I don't want to spend very much considering I just built my computer a few months ago and it wasn't cheap. My local Fry's has a Seagate 1TB external hard drive on sale for $50. That's exactly how much I wanted to spend on an external hard drive to. The only problem is I can see is it doesn't have USB 3.0 or eSata. Although I'm not sure how big of an issue that is because I am only looking to back up files. I don't plan to run anything off of it in the foreseeable future. That could change but my internal hard drive still has more than enough space. Also, how great is Seagate? I remember when I was looking for my hard drive and I really didn't even think about Seagate. I heard great things about Samsung's Spinpoint series and I went with that.

Here is a link to the external hard drive that I'm thinking about.
http://www.frys.com/product/6002228?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Also, please recommend anything that you think is a better buy.
1 answer Last reply
More about seagate external hard drive
  1. Seagate make perfectly good hard drives, as do Western Digital and Samsung. Each have had problems from time to time (Seagate had a range of self-bricking drives for a while, but that's fixed; WD had REALLY annoying software on some of their external hard drives for a while; etc).

USB2 is slow. I suspect that's what the drive you are looking at has. It has one huge advantage - people have beaten on USB2 external hard drives so much that pretty much every possible glitch is gone.

Will it make a difference? Well, your backups will run slower over USB2, and if you are backing up many gigabytes, it could take quite a while, but it will work.

I prefer 2.5" external drives because they are powered from the USB socket - no transformer to lose (unlike 3.5" external hard drives). You can get up to 1.5TB in 2.5" at the moment.

If you get a USB3 external, you can plug it into a USB2 socket. It will run at USB2 speed on a USB2 socket, and USB3 speed on a USB3 socket, so that means it's only slow on PCs without a USB3 socket.

I have been buying Seagate GoFlex drives recently - I like the idea that I can plug in different interfaces if I want to. You can buy naked drives and use the GoFlex cable if you want, but the naked drives aren't protected afterwards.

BTW: Steam lets you download your games again, so all you lose there is the time and download quota. iTunes, not so much :(
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives External Hard Drive Seagate Storage