mtb286

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
I just put together a new build with a SSD, HDD and dvd burner. My motherboard came with two sata cables but I guess I need to buy a third cable. Should I go with SATA or a different type of cable? Bestbuy is selling them for $20 which seems excessive.

Solution
I'm not sure what you mean by "different type of cable". If you have a SATA drive, you need a SATA cable, other cable types won't fit. But it really doesn't matter that much which SATA cable you buy.

I personally like the cables that have the locking clips on the connectors. One of the weaknesses of SATA is that the connectors can work loose over time and cause problems if there isn't anything to lock them onto the device.

Best Buy does tend to charge more for these types of small accessories than a small "mom-and-pop" computer store would. If you can find such a store locally you'll probably get a better price.
I'm not sure what you mean by "different type of cable". If you have a SATA drive, you need a SATA cable, other cable types won't fit. But it really doesn't matter that much which SATA cable you buy.

I personally like the cables that have the locking clips on the connectors. One of the weaknesses of SATA is that the connectors can work loose over time and cause problems if there isn't anything to lock them onto the device.

Best Buy does tend to charge more for these types of small accessories than a small "mom-and-pop" computer store would. If you can find such a store locally you'll probably get a better price.

Solution