Noob to overclocking--looking to overclock my 1090t to over 4.0ghz

marblesmike

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm new here and to overclocking in general. I have read lots of threads on here and elsewhere that have given me an idea on how to overclock, but everything I've tried results in a bios message at start up saying that overclock has failed and to redo settings, or I've also gotten into Windows, only to have it freeze or result in a memory-related BSOD. So I'm guessing I'm not adjusting the memory voltage/clock speed properly, but I have no idea how that corresponds to CPU frequency. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

System specs:

AMD 1090t BE
Asus M5A87 mobo
Corsair H80 cooling system
PNY Optima 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) PC3-10666 1333MHz DDR3 Desktop DIMMs Memory Kit
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply 80plus
Standard American Megatrends BIOS

If you need more info let me know. Also, I'm not near my PC right now (I'm at work) so I couldn't give specific values that I've edited in my BIOS.

EDITED to add PSU.

EDITED to change mobo from M5A97 to M5A87

It might be a good idea to list your Power Supply - Name Brand and Model Name. If you overclock - and you have a weak power supply - this can affect your OverClocking abilities since your CPU draws in much more power depending on how much you OC.

Also I think there are some overclocking stickies in this forum somewhere - you might want to check it out - i heard they are a great source of OC info.

I've done some minor O'Cing but nothing close to what you want to try hehe.

Also one more thing:

Not all processors/ motherboards overclock the same. You could have 2 identical systems - right down to the part numbers, and one could overclock say 100Mhz, while the other could easily overclock by 400Mhz.

It really depends on your luck - and the silicone of your chips. So don't feel so bad if you can't overclock very much. I would say overclock as much as you can - but stability and overclocking go hand in hand, just keep that in mind.