PC freezes after 10-15 mins, then fails afterwards. Help please!

OfficerTJHooker

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Hi there, I have this problem that has been plaguing me for some time now.

Around a few months ago, my computer started to give me some weird symptoms. It would boot up fine, and start windows normally, except after 10-20 minutes of doing anything it will freeze (the kind of freeze that has the monitor showing you whatever you were doing, and the sound loops repeatedly over that same second.)

At this point, the only work around the problem was to turn off the computer by holding the power switch for a few seconds, wait for another 5-10 seconds and then turning it back on. Restarting just didn't do the trick. What would happen after is that the computer would load extremely slowly... it would just stay on the BIOS screen for a good 60 seconds or so, UNTIL the actual Windows XP O/S screen showed. Then it worked normally. This would keep up good until the next time I shut off the computer for an extended period of time, or if my computer decided to freeze again (which only happened during video games I believe).

This was workable until recently where my computer just decided not to start up anymore. When I pressed the power button, I could hear the fans working and computer starting but my monitor would not get a signal, staying blank.

I've done some poking around on the internet and I'm almost positive it's a problem with my motherboard, or my CPU. Both parts were relatively new, at around a year and a half I believe. The reason I say this is that someone told me to do a test which was to remove my RAM sticks and see if the computer had any response... which it did not.

The computer power supply has already been replaced, because I thought it was the most likely culprit. Unfortunately, I was still plagued by the same problem, so this is why I request your help.

If nothing seems to work, I think I might just build a new system from scratch... although costly it will be the sure way to make sure everything works again.

PC Specs

Processor: Intel E6650 (2.33G/4M/FSB1333)
Motherboard: Gigabyte ga-956p
Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 6800 GS
Power Supply: Originally Corsair 520W Modular PSU, now Corsair 750W.
RAM: 2 x Patriot 2GB DDR2 800mhz
Sound/Network Card: Onboard

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Interesting or useless note: When I start up the computer for the first time, the CPU processor fan doesn't work. Like it's trying to spin but it doesn't. As soon as the computer freezes, the fan starts spinning. Strange...

OfficerTJHooker

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
There was a bit of dust in the CPU heatsink, but it was well within limits.

I'll go try that mem test program out right now... I'm thinking it was the motherboard or gfx card too, since my graphics card is the only component in my computer that is quite old.