Sign in with
Your question

7.1 surround sound with HDMI and ATI 4890?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 28, 2009 11:49:07 PM

I have a 4890 with the adapter going with an HDMI cable to an Onkyo sr607 reciever. I'm getting sound and video, but when I go to my sound devices in Windows, it just shows a Mono and stereo speaker options.

Can I do 7.1 sound with this setup? Or will I need to wire something else with my onboard sound? How would I go about doing all of this?
September 29, 2009 2:46:35 AM

Something was wrong with my driver. I had to uninstall the sound drivers and reinstall. It's working now.
m
l
March 14, 2012 10:28:49 PM

I can't get 7.1 with my hd 4870... I always just have the option of 5.1, never 7.1 I've disabled the onboard audio via bios, uninstalled all audio drivers including my audigy sound card, and reinstalled my realtek 2.67 driver and STILL only 5.1... why don't i have the 7.1 option? My receiver supports 7.1 PCM... ANY advice is wonderful!
m
l
March 15, 2012 4:21:04 AM

The driver I'm using is from the AMD Catalyst Control Center. It's the HD Audio thing that installs with it. Under my sound properties, I choose ATI HDMI output which goes through the HDMI and once I do that, I can choose 7.1.

If that doesn't help, I'm afraid I can't help you. I have no idea how it works with a separate sound card. Honestly, I don't even understand how it works at all. How does sound go through your video card? :o 

I hope you figure it out, or I hope someone else will answer here. Good luck.
m
l
!