Should i upgrade my Asetek CPU cooler? PLEASE HELP!

insidious1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Hey everyone!

I am currently running:

- Intel Core i7 @2.67 Ghz
- Asus P6T Mobo
- 12 gig Corsair 1600mhx ram
- 750Watt PSU.

I will be overclocking to 3.5 Ghz in the upcoming days, but I am concerned with my temps! I just ran Prime95 "In-Place Large FFT's" Stress Test, and the temps were over 84 degrees celsius after only 10 minutes or so!!! I have a Asetek 510L liquid CPU cooler... Should it be running THAT hot?!

I have my new Nvidia 580GTX coming at the end of the week, and I will be overclocking when i get that installed... and i ordered a Corsair H80 (liquid CPU cooler). I had ordered it, just in case i needed better temps! (which it looks like i might)

MY QUESTION: I am getting my rig ready to run BF3 at MAX (on a 1650x1080 res monitor)... I WANT to OC my CPU to about 3.4-3.5 Ghz and run STABLE! So given the above, should I rip out the Asetek cooler and replace with the Corsair H80?! Or will my computer ALWAYs run that hot running the Prime95 Stress test? YOUR INPUT IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Thanks!
Ryan

insidious1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Here is a pic of my temps while running Prime95

Screenshot.jpg

chesteracorgi

Distinguished
What case are you using? What is the idle temp on the CPU? As BF3 is a GPU intensive game, do you really need to OC the CPU?

The H80 is a decent closed loop cooler, but it is not superior to air coolers. The advantage of closed loops is that you can exhaust the heat outside the case and help with overall cooling.

Prime 95's synthetic tests stress your CPU more than almost any game. This test is not a good measure of performance stress of BF3.

Try out BF3 with your new GPU and monitor the CPU temps. I suspect that you will not find any temps over 60 C, and I expect less than 50 C.

Try the game without overclocking and test the difference with the overclock. You may find that the overclock of the CPU produces only marginal improvement.

insidious1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Chester,
Thank you for your input! I really appreciate any and all responses!

To answer your questions:

- Cooler Master Centurion 590
- Using my Asetek 510, it's running at 43-45 degrees Celsius at idle

I have read and read about the intel core i7 920's being over clocked to an easy 3.8-4.0 Ghz... I merely want ti give it a stable bump up to 3.4ish. I ordered the evga 580GTx @ 3072mb and know that it should be more than sufficient given my display and setup. BUT... If I can safely maximize my CPU/computer to optimal "safe" over clocking... I would love to do it.

One thing I was confused by.... You mentioned that liquid CPU coolers are NOT as good as air coolers?! I was under the complete opposite impression, especially for OC'ing a CPU. Would you mind to expound on that? (excuse my ignorance)

Also... I am learning, but have never over clocked anything. My buddy is VERY experienced with doing it, and my goal was to take an afternoon and get it all set up (I.e. Install graphics card, possibly install corsair h80' get a stable OC, install windows 7 - I have vista, start playing BF3)!!! LOL

One question would be... Do I even need to install the Corsair? The Asetek had the temps above while running prime95 on the worst torture test... Is that normal? I'm concerned that the Asetek isn't doing it's job it's letting my temp get that high, especially at stock settings!!! I HOPE the corsair might provide much better results... Your thoughts?

Thank you for you time, in advance!

Ray Charles

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2008
My friend has a simular Asetek liquid cooler or probably the same (he got it from Cyberpower) and he has a i5 750 and has similar temps to yours but his system restarts when too close to the tdp, I don't really trust this cooler I advised him to get a new "air cooler" (CM 212 or simular unit) because he is not a hands on computer person but I suspect you may have to get a new cpu cooler also those temps are poor for stock clocking and a cm 212 case which I have!

insidious1

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2009
Hey everyone...

Thanks for the replies! I didnt have "email notifications" set, so i assumed no one else responded! Thanks again for your input! Given that my computer was assembled by Cyberpower PC, i am unsure the direction of airflow throughout the case. I BELIEVE the CPU liquid cooling fan is blowing OUT of the case... but now that i think about it... that doesnt seem to be the best configuration. I'll post pics of my set-up.

SAM_2440.jpg

SAM_2447.jpg

SAM_2450.jpg

SAM_2449.jpg

As you can see by the pictures... there is only ONE fan that is attached to the radiator... and if that fan is merely exhasting the radiator heat OUT of the case... there isnt MUCH cooling being done at all! I know the Corsair H80 has TWO fans.. one on each side of the radiator. If my currently system were set up to pull air IN and through the radiator, MAYBE that would make a difference. But since i have the Corsair which will be here tomorrow.. I will let you know how it goes. I HOPE it fits.. all documentation says it should.. but it seems that another 120mm fan on the BACK side of the radiator would be putting it nearly on top of the CPU.

Also.. i am unsure as to WHICH direction any air is flowing in the case. As you can see... I have a big fan in front of the case.. and exhaust fan on the opening door, vents on top and the front, etc etc... I see no reason why i should be getting temps into the 84+ range!

Any input? I sincerely appreciate it...