Sign in with
Your question

Proper way to use two channel memory cards

Last response: in Motherboards
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 11:13:18 AM

1] Is it necessary to use the same size [in mb] modules for two channel use?
2] If only one channel is activated do the modules need to be the same size in MB?
3] If two channels are used with all slots filled are any size variations permitted?
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 } Memory
a c 435 V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 11:45:54 AM

Check your motherboard manual for possible ram configurations. It may list which slots work best with dual sided ram, not to be confused with dual channel. Dual sided means both sides of the stick are populated with chips. It's best to fill the slots in pairs with identical sticks. A single stick should also work. You can try mixing different sizes and brands, but I don't recommend it.
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 2:14:22 PM

o1die said:
Check your motherboard manual for possible ram configurations. It may list which slots work best with dual sided ram, not to be confused with dual channel. Dual sided means both sides of the stick are populated with chips. It's best to fill the slots in pairs with identical sticks. A single stick should also work. You can try mixing different sizes and brands, but I don't recommend it.

==========================================

I thought my questions were concise and direct - this answer does not respond at all to the questions asked. First, I do not have a motherboard manual, secondly I haven't been able to find one on the new for this specific computer, thirdly those are reasons for asking of information.
Cut and try are obvious potential solutions if one have access to an unlimited supply of RAM.

Not too pleased with this type of answer.
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 128 } Memory
a c 435 V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 4:00:29 PM

Well, I'm not a mindreader about whether or not you have a motherboard manual. You can download many of them off the manufacturer's website or check the "archives" section of the website. If you want more responses, at least list your motherboard make and model number. Sorry for wasting your time.
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 5:55:26 PM

I did not intend for my response to be offensive. I was and am looking at finding the principle behind the dual channel idea and what I have found so far indicates that the modules used must be same size in MB's and the same frequency.

In other words I am discovering answers on my own but input verifying or disputing what I find is important so that I don't waste money and time buying the wrong RAM for this unit I am looking at for a friend.

This unit uses an ASUS P4SD-LA mother board. It has two sets of slots and apparently will support only 2 GB of DDR RAM.

I have concluded - hopefully correctly - that I will need to use two Identical 525 MB
modules either configured as one channel by using alternate slots of the same color or as a two channel configuration if I use a single slot area - one module in each of the parallel slots.

If you have a suggestion on that I would appreciate your input.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
March 1, 2010 6:16:53 PM

Quote:
1] Is it necessary to use the same size [in mb] modules for two channel use?

Yes

Quote:
2] If only one channel is activated do the modules need to be the same size in MB?

No - But understand that any differences will default to the lowest common setting, and it's possible to intruduce instability.

Quote:
3] If two channels are used with all slots filled are any size variations permitted?

The pairs should be matched

Your conclusion is correct - You will need two matched modules of DDR ram. Whether the module itself is single or double sided does not matter. What matters is they are paired.
m
l
!