Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

My new i7 860 build [$1300]

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
September 12, 2009 3:15:05 AM

Purchase Date: Within the next week. Buy by 9/18/09

Usage: Gaming ( counter strike), everyday use for internet. But mostly gaming.

Not needed: Keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers

Buying center: Newegg. All my items I found at newegg.com

Overclocking: No.

Res: 1280x1024

Will I need that sound card I listed since the motherboard has audio ports? Or should I get the sound card cause the sound will suck off the motherboard. Will all this match up? Any comments are welcome. Please add your 2 cents. I beleive the total including shipping is $1300 US.

Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD5 LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7 860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX GX260XADJC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio 7.1 Channels 24-bit 96KHz PCI Interface Sound Card - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

More about : 860 build 1300

September 12, 2009 3:39:21 AM

Looks pretty good, got a couple things to mention though.

Why did you pick that motherboard? It's awfully expensive and I see that it is loaded with SATA ports and RAID functionarly... but do you really need all that? All the P55 boards will have at least 6 SATA ports already. I think you can save at least $50 by looking into a different manufacturer or maybe even a lower-end model from Gigabyte.

And I'm pretty sure you won't need that Audigy card. P55 boards come standard with HD audio which means they can output 5.1/7.1 channels, in addition to having Optical and Coax S/PDIF out. So you should be able to save another $50 there. If anything, you can always buy the card later if you find the on board audio lacking in some way.

Other than that, I like your selections for the case and PSU. I don't know what's a good value for video cards and RAMs nowadays so I can't comment on that.
m
0
l
September 12, 2009 3:43:30 AM

I can see a lot of changes to be made on that build. First off the psu is super over kill, second with this P55/i5 one good vid card > dual vid cards, and last we can get u a monitor with a better resolution and still meet or beat the price u have now. Gimme a bit and I'l post a good one for ya that will save ya money and suit your needs just fine.
m
0
l
Related resources
September 12, 2009 4:36:33 AM

You can save quite a bit with the following:

ASRock X58 Extreme LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 ... - Retail

No need for a sound card on this mobo. Sounds much better than my old sound card.

The Asrock comes highly recommended here.
The power supply I got is even overkill.

m
0
l
September 12, 2009 4:53:27 AM

Ok here's the deal. First off you didn't list a burner in your build, your psu is over kill, and the i7 860 is a rip off imo, you don't need a sound card, and your memory is like way over priced just like that mobo you chose. I know you said you weren't going to o/c, but with this measly $20 after market h/s (includes paste) you can bump up your cpu to a mild 3.0GHz and your way ahead of the game, and your cpu temps are just fine. It takes all of a few min. to do this. This psu down below isn't modular, but that's what zip ties are for. Also this psu down below will easily push 260's or even dual 275's in SLI with juice to spare.

Now take the $$$ you saved and get a new monitor with a better resolution so you can enjoy your gaming that much more. :) 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$20.00 Combo Price: $234.90
Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$30.00 Combo Price: $349.98 Free Shipping*
ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 Intel Motherboard - Retail
Intel Core i5 750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $19.99
Cooler Master Intel Core i5 compatible Hyper TX3 Socket 775/1156/AMD 130W 92mm "heatpipe direct contact" CPU Cooler RR-910-HTX3-GP - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $89.99 Free Shipping*
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL8D-4GBRM - Retail
Dual Channel Intel Core i5 & Core i7 CPU for P55 motherboard

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $74.99 Free Shipping*
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $29.99 Free Shipping*
Sony Optiarc Black 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$10.00 Combo Price: $279.98 Free Shipping*
XFX GX260XADJC GeForce GTX 260 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM | Includes free Windows 7 upgrade coupon

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... $169.99 ($149.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card)
ASUS VW224U Black 22" 2ms(GTG) Widescreen LCD Monitor w/ HDCP Support 300 cd/m2 1000:1 (ASCR 5000:1) Built in Speakers - Retail

Total: $1,249.81

*Same build as above but w/gtx 275

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite... Combo Discount: -$10.00 Combo Price: $319.98
GIGABYTE GV-N275UD-896I GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM | Includes free Windows 7 upgrade coupon

Total: $1,289.81
m
0
l
September 12, 2009 5:32:31 AM

Yep I would recommend getting a decent aftermarket cooler and overclocking a little bit also.

While the 850W PSU is overkill for sure, you should consider how much you will be saving compared to a 750W or lower. Because if you ever decide to upgrade in a few years, chances are you can still use the 850W. Maybe you can get away with using the 750W again, but maybe not.
m
0
l
September 12, 2009 5:35:51 AM

gtnx said:
Yep I would recommend getting a decent aftermarket cooler and overclocking a little bit also.

While the 850W PSU is overkill for sure, you should consider how much you will be saving compared to a 750W or lower. Because if you ever decide to upgrade in a few years, chances are you can still use the 850W. Maybe you can get away with using the 750W again, but maybe not.


Cards these days are using less juice, not more...or so they say. Nvidea is a prime example of that. The gts 250 uses a lot less juice than the 9800gtx+, the gtx 285 uses a lot less power than the older gtx 280, etc....
m
0
l
September 12, 2009 5:47:48 AM

its like the blinds helping out the blind, both gonna fall. you guys didnt even point out this huge mistake?

@ original poster gtx 260 for 1280x1024 which is waste of money. also why you buying this computer for gaming counter strike? get 4850 instead although that will max everything in 1280x1024 already for 100 bucks.

for cpu you can use a p4 and rape settings in counter strike lol . no point on this expensive build. PSU is overkill stated by many others and no need sound card.

if you are just playin games theres no point for i7 860 especially for counter strike, get i5 750 instead even that is overkill for counter strike, you play any other games that's intensive because ur just using computer for gaming you said? play games like crysis or cod4 ?

and that ram is pretty expensive for 4gb 1600..maybe try OCZ

you should overclock, but if you dont have the knowledge read articles.

overclock makes system faster..for free..its up to you..
m
0
l
September 12, 2009 5:52:32 AM

overshocks said:
its like the blinds helping out the blind, both gonna fall. you guys didnt even point out this huge mistake?

@ original poster gtx 260 for 1280x1024 which is waste of money. also why you buying this computer for gaming counter strike? get 4850 instead although that will max everything in 1280x1024 already for 100 bucks.

for cpu you can use a p4 and rape settings in counter strike lol . no point on this expensive build. PSU is overkill stated by many others and no need sound card.

if you are just playin games theres no point for i7 860 especially for counter strike, get i5 750 instead even that is overkill for counter strike, you play any other games that's intensive because ur just using computer for gaming you said? play games like crysis or cod4 ?

and that ram is pretty expensive for 4gb 1600..maybe try OCZ

you should overclock, but if you dont have the knowledge read articles.

overclock makes system faster..for free..its up to you..


You really should have read my post before posting what you did. It makes you look blind. You would have noticed that I posted a monitor in that build...towards the bottom, and still stayed under his budget. And as far as the OCZ goes...forget it. That gskill I posted in my build is a bargain at that price.
m
0
l
September 12, 2009 8:19:57 AM

overshocks said:
get 4850 instead although that will max everything in 1280x1024 already for 100 bucks.
Where are you getting 4850s at that price? I can only find them from $125 to $150 and the 4870 is only $150.
m
0
l
September 12, 2009 2:23:12 PM

So everyone knows. I have a syncmaster 930e. Its maybe 2 or 3 years old. Another thing, do you really thing the i5 is better then the i7? Some onesuggested G.Skill ram with the build. I was reading reviews and people were having problems with the G.Skill ram. I would like to stick with a Gigabyte mobo too. I would play more games, but my current pc cant handle much more. =/
m
0
l
September 12, 2009 5:55:18 PM

cimber said:
So everyone knows. I have a syncmaster 930e. Its maybe 2 or 3 years old. Another thing, do you really thing the i5 is better then the i7? Some onesuggested G.Skill ram with the build. I was reading reviews and people were having problems with the G.Skill ram. I would like to stick with a Gigabyte mobo too. I would play more games, but my current pc cant handle much more. =/


The reason I added that monitor is for the fact that the resolution your playing on now is very low. The monitor I posted has a 2ms response time. :) 

I haven't heard of anyone having problems with this new G.Skill Ripjaw's RAM. It's new, but it's a rare day that G.Skill put's out a shoddy product. G.Skill and Mushkin are two of the better makers of memory.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...(2%20x%202GB)&SpeTabStoreType=1 <--- Look for the G.Skill "Ripjaw's on there

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <--- Take a look at this mobo. It's much cheaper than the one in your build, yet it has everything you could want.
m
0
l
September 12, 2009 8:23:49 PM

This is what I have in mind now

XFX GX275XAHFF GeForce GTX 275 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

XFX GeForce GTX 275 GX275XAHFF Video Card
Item #:N82E16814150387
Return Policy: VGA Replacement Only Return Policy
$224.99


LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04

LITE-ON Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model iHDS118-04
Item #:N82E16827106276
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$19.99


Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital Caviar Black 640GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Hard Drive
Item #:N82E16822136319
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$74.99


Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window
Item #:N82E16811129058
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
-$15.00 Instant
$139.95
$124.95


COOLER MASTER Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm

COOLER MASTER RR-B10-212P-GP 120mm Long life sleeve CPU Cooler
Item #:N82E16835103065
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
$29.99


Sony Optiarc 24X DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B

Sony Optiarc DVD/CD Rewritable Drive Black SATA Model AD-7240S-0B
Item #:N82E16827118030
Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy
$32.99


Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC

Antec TPQ-850 850W Continuous Power "compatible with Core i7" Power Supply
Item #:N82E16817371009
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$30.00 Instant
$179.99
$149.99


CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
Item #:N82E16820145263
Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy
$129.99


Intel Core i7 860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I7860

Intel Core i7 860 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
Item #: N82E16819115214
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard

GIGABYTE GA-P55-UD4P ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813128400
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$20.00 Combo
$469.98
$449.98
Grand Total: $1,237.86

Grand Total (with warranty/shipping) $1,310.82
m
0
l
September 12, 2009 10:40:32 PM

uhh cimber... no offense, did you totally ignore all of the previous posts?

i would have to agree with the others-

-4GB of ram for $130 is so ridiculous... i got my 6GB of ram @ 1600 for $115
-850w is overkill for your set up... and paying $150 for a PSU seems stupid to me. I paid $90 for my 750w corsair PSU which was a very good price... and now its $100 at newegg
-If you're buying this for gaming at a 1280 x 1024 resolution, you REALLY don't need a gtx 275. Especially counter strike... From personal experience, i played CS 1.6 with my 8 year old Nvidia FX 5200 ... Unless you're playing CSS, but still, gtx 275 is overkill at that resolution.
-I have a 4870 1GB and i'm gaming at a 1280 x 1024 resolution, and it is seriously overkill lol. I get like 120 FPS+ in L4D all maxed out and i get 100 FPS+ in COD4 maxed out. And the 4870 is on par with the gtx 260. You're getting a 275! Seems unnecessary to me.... I'de rather buy a gtx 260 AT MOST and put the rest of the money into a better monitor.
-get an Intel i5 750 like what the others said...

My recommendations. If you have a lot of dough to blow... go ahead with this build lol
m
0
l
September 13, 2009 12:06:03 AM

Your better off going with 1366.
m
0
l
September 13, 2009 12:34:43 AM

No offense cimber, but that build of yours is horrid.
m
0
l
September 13, 2009 2:25:00 AM

Why_Me said:
No offense cimber, but that build of yours is horrid.

Its not horrid. Everything is a good name component. Its just a couple hundred dollars overpriced.
m
0
l
September 13, 2009 2:30:33 AM

dndhatcher said:
Its not horrid. Everything is a good name component. Its just a couple hundred dollars overpriced.


Agreed. I might have been a bit harsh with that review. jchan pretty much summed it up in his post.
m
0
l
September 13, 2009 2:40:45 AM

to Why_Me

quote : "
You really should have read my post before posting what you did. It makes you look blind. You would have noticed that I posted a monitor in that build...towards the bottom, and still stayed under his budget. And as far as the OCZ goes...forget it. That gskill I posted in my build is a bargain at that price."

good job you edited the post with a monitor, big deal and Gskill sucks its only cheap..

to original poster, you are seriously stupid, after like what 5 people saying you shouldnt go with that build, you still do it? no point in helping this stupid kid, let him learn his lesson.

I LOL @ gtx 275 at 1280 x 1024 for counter strike LMAO
and i ROFL at 4GB ram at 130 dollars, i got my 6GB with that price
who told you i7 860 has wayyy better performance than i5 750? just because it's not a i7 you think it sucks? just get off this site noob, theres no point helping him he doesnt listen so guys just leave this
m
0
l
September 13, 2009 2:48:54 AM

overshocks said:
to Why_Me

quote : "
You really should have read my post before posting what you did. It makes you look blind. You would have noticed that I posted a monitor in that build...towards the bottom, and still stayed under his budget. And as far as the OCZ goes...forget it. That gskill I posted in my build is a bargain at that price."

good job you edited the post with a monitor, big deal and Gskill sucks its only cheap..

to original poster, you are seriously stupid, after like what 5 people saying you shouldnt go with that build, you still do it? no point in helping this stupid kid, let him learn his lesson.

I LOL @ gtx 275 at 1280 x 1024 for counter strike LMAO
and i ROFL at 4GB ram at 130 dollars, i got my 6GB with that price
who told you i7 860 has wayyy better performance than i5 750? just because it's not a i7 you think it sucks? just get off this site noob, theres no point helping him he doesnt listen so guys just leave this



I edited that build to put the monitor above the total cost instead of leaving it at the bottom for a suggestion. If you had read my post the first time you would have noticed that.
m
0
l
September 13, 2009 2:24:23 PM

it will be fine
m
0
l
September 13, 2009 10:08:21 PM

Now if I would overclock my i7 860 alittle, will the 750w cover it?
m
0
l
!