Want to install XP Pro on Thinkpad without Service Partiti..

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 7:46:02 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I will be getting a new Thinkpad X40 soon, and it comes with a
"recovery cd", which will restore my copy of XP on it. The thing is,
when I get my computer I want to install XP Pro WITHOUT IBM's "service
parition"... just a plain XP Pro install.

Is there any way I can get an OEM copy of XP Pro from IBM that I can
install without creating a service partition, etc.? I don't want any
of that extra "helper" stuff on it (I'm going to make it a dual boot
with Slackware Linux).

- A Frustrated Engineer
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2004 5:32:33 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

i second that emotion..
no help to offer just comisseration. I want a plain old system with a plain
old bios.. that works like every other computer on the planet.

I plan to format my t41.. which is laden with glitchy ibm software that
forces me to reboot way too often..

Aaron

"Anonymous User" <googleTrashBin@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I will be getting a new Thinkpad X40 soon, and it comes with a
> "recovery cd", which will restore my copy of XP on it. The thing is,
> when I get my computer I want to install XP Pro WITHOUT IBM's "service
> parition"... just a plain XP Pro install.
>
> Is there any way I can get an OEM copy of XP Pro from IBM that I can
> install without creating a service partition, etc.? I don't want any
> of that extra "helper" stuff on it (I'm going to make it a dual boot
> with Slackware Linux).
>
> - A Frustrated Engineer
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2004 6:44:40 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

IBM sells replacements disks for $35 which should do the trick.

--
Jim Walker
Northern Virginia

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

There is a good chance that you can do that with the copy that comes
with the IBM.

See if the default installation leaves an "I386" partition ANYWHERE
(could be in the root or burried, in either the main drive or the
service partition). If it does, burn that folder (and all subfolders)
to a CD. You should then be able to install windows XP using that I386
folder, onto a blank hard drive with the computer booted from a floppy
or a bootable CD (in either case, the boot floppy and/or CD should have
CD-ROM support). It's also much easier to do some of these things of
the partitions are, at least initially, FAT32 rather than NTFS. You can
always convert them to NTFS later, but there are more "tools" (not to
mention DOS itself) that can access and manipulate a FAT32 partition
than an NTFS partition.

[Note, the Windows setup program is Winnt32.exe, and the DOS setup
program is Winnt.exe, both are likely to be in the I386 folder if such a
folder is created.]

Anonymous User wrote:
> I will be getting a new Thinkpad X40 soon, and it comes with a
> "recovery cd", which will restore my copy of XP on it. The thing is,
> when I get my computer I want to install XP Pro WITHOUT IBM's "service
> parition"... just a plain XP Pro install.
>
> Is there any way I can get an OEM copy of XP Pro from IBM that I can
> install without creating a service partition, etc.? I don't want any
> of that extra "helper" stuff on it (I'm going to make it a dual boot
> with Slackware Linux).
>
> - A Frustrated Engineer
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 2:02:13 AM

> Barry Watzmanwrote:
See if the default installation leaves an "I386" partition ANYWHERE
> (could be in the root or burried, in either the main drive or the
> service partition).
C:\i386

==============
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 5:02:43 AM

> Barry Watzmanwrote:
If you have C:\I386, you are golden. That's a "plain vanilla"
Windows
> setup folder, it's functionally the same as a CD if you know how to
use it.
Yep, it's got everything the CD has.

==============
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 7:47:37 AM

JHEM wrote:
>>Barry Watzmanwrote:
>
> See if the default installation leaves an "I386" partition ANYWHERE
>
>>(could be in the root or burried, in either the main drive or the
>>service partition).
>
> C:\i386
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 1:16:10 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

My X40 has the I386 directory, but NO EXE files in it. I think it requires
the service partition.

Just use something like Partition Magic to create the partition you need.

You'll love the X40.

Tom
> There is a good chance that you can do that with the copy that comes
> with the IBM.
>
> See if the default installation leaves an "I386" partition ANYWHERE
> (could be in the root or burried, in either the main drive or the
> service partition). If it does, burn that folder (and all subfolders)
> to a CD. You should then be able to install windows XP using that I386
> folder, onto a blank hard drive with the computer booted from a floppy
> or a bootable CD (in either case, the boot floppy and/or CD should have
> CD-ROM support). It's also much easier to do some of these things of
> the partitions are, at least initially, FAT32 rather than NTFS. You can
> always convert them to NTFS later, but there are more "tools" (not to
> mention DOS itself) that can access and manipulate a FAT32 partition
> than an NTFS partition.
>
> [Note, the Windows setup program is Winnt32.exe, and the DOS setup
> program is Winnt.exe, both are likely to be in the I386 folder if such a
> folder is created.]
>

> Anonymous User wrote:
> > I will be getting a new Thinkpad X40 soon, and it comes with a
> > "recovery cd", which will restore my copy of XP on it. The thing is,
> > when I get my computer I want to install XP Pro WITHOUT IBM's "service
> > parition"... just a plain XP Pro install.
> >
> > Is there any way I can get an OEM copy of XP Pro from IBM that I can
> > install without creating a service partition, etc.? I don't want any
> > of that extra "helper" stuff on it (I'm going to make it a dual boot
> > with Slackware Linux).
> >
> > - A Frustrated Engineer

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 3:02:49 PM

> Tom Scaleswrote:
My X40 has the I386 directory, but NO EXE files in it. I think it
requires the service partition.
Are you certain Tom? I've got 4 T40s here with the \i386 folder and
they all have the same 11 executables as the XP CD.

==============
May 22, 2004 3:58:12 PM

Don't keep us in suspense Barry, tell us how we use it to restore.

Jim

On Sat, 22 May 2004 03:47:37 GMT, Barry Watzman
<WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:

>If you have C:\I386, you are golden. That's a "plain vanilla" Windows
>setup folder, it's functionally the same as a CD if you know how to use it.
>

>JHEM wrote:
>>>Barry Watzmanwrote:
>>
>> See if the default installation leaves an "I386" partition ANYWHERE
>>
>>>(could be in the root or burried, in either the main drive or the
>>>service partition).
>>
>> C:\i386
>>
>> ==============
>> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.
May 22, 2004 5:14:26 PM

In article <40af6b99_3@news.athenanews.com>, James@thinkpads-dot-com.no-
spam.invalid says...
> > Tom Scaleswrote:
> My X40 has the I386 directory, but NO EXE files in it. I think it
> requires the service partition.
> Are you certain Tom? I've got 4 T40s here with the \i386 folder and
> they all have the same 11 executables as the XP CD.
>
> ==============
> Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

Perhaps the .exe's are hidden via a setting in the window view options?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 5:14:27 PM

"MAG" <Somebody@somewhere.com> wrote in message

| Perhaps the .exe's are hidden via a setting in the window view options?

Or file extensions are hidden for known file types in the Folder Options.

Jef
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 7:53:19 PM

Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
> My X40 has the I386 directory, but NO EXE files in it. I think it
> requires the service partition.

Are you certain Tom? All four of the T40s I have here as well as the X31 I
recently shipped have the same 11 executables in the \i386 folder as the XP
CD.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 9:16:26 PM

Normally, the I386 folder has everything needed to install Windows XP.
The two setup programs are Winnt.exe (runs under DOS) and Winnt32.exe
(runs under Windows). Burn that folder to a CD, boot with a floppy (or
you can burn it to a bootable CD), wipe the hard drive and reinstall by
running winnt.exe. I usually repartition and reformat the hard drive,
first, copy the I386 folder to the hard drive (using XCopy), then do the
setup, it's faster, and it leaves the I386 folder on the hard drive and
registered as the installation source. This is all a LOT easier to do
if you initially use FAT32 partitions, you can convert to NTFS later if
desired.

Jim wrote:

> Don't keep us in suspense Barry, tell us how we use it to restore.
>
> Jim
>

> On Sat, 22 May 2004 03:47:37 GMT, Barry Watzman
> <WatzmanNOSPAM@neo.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>If you have C:\I386, you are golden. That's a "plain vanilla" Windows
>>setup folder, it's functionally the same as a CD if you know how to use it.

>>>See if the default installation leaves an "I386" partition ANYWHERE

>>>C:\i386
>>>
>>>==============
>>>Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware troubleshooting newsgroups.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2004 12:25:04 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

No, I wasn't :)

Checked again -- winnt.exe is there.

Tom
"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> wrote in message
news:p HKrc.5061$ZQ.2390@nwrddc03.gnilink.net...
> Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
> > My X40 has the I386 directory, but NO EXE files in it. I think it
> > requires the service partition.
>
> Are you certain Tom? All four of the T40s I have here as well as the X31 I
> recently shipped have the same 11 executables in the \i386 folder as the
XP
> CD.
>
> --
> Regards,
>
> James
>
> Checkout the NEW Thinkpad Forums: http://forum.thinkpads.com

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 23, 2004 8:18:55 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Tom Scales <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote:
> No, I wasn't :)
>
> Checked again -- winnt.exe is there.

Hey, just proves that there's a first time for everything! ;-)

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
May 24, 2004 4:10:25 AM

One question then -- does the IBM Xp Pro disk have a unique registration
number so that I can get future upgrades to XP Pro, just as if I'd installed
from an XP Pro disk I'd bought?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 24, 2004 7:08:21 PM

Anonymous User <googleTrashBin@yahoo.com> wrote:
> One question then -- does the IBM Xp Pro disk have a unique
> registration number so that I can get future upgrades to XP Pro, just
> as if I'd installed from an XP Pro disk I'd bought?

Yes, the laptop itself is pre-registered with M$ and there's no problem with
getting upgrades, nor do you have to register the unit again if you use the
onboard recovery partition or recovery CDs to reinstall XP.

--
Regards,

James