My hard disk is slow

doctorwatson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
Every time i install new windows, my pc runs perfect. But after 2 to 3 days something happens and my pc becomes very slow.To be exact hard disk becomes very slow. windows takes loads of time to load. games which are heavy are lagging. even when i run firefox it takes a bit of time to open. there are no viruses no malwares. I have checked the cables. My power supply is bit older. What do uthink is the problem??

Check the 'Startup programs' - there is no need to open tons of programs during startup. Disable (not delete) the ones you don't need running all the time. Better yet, enable just the ones you need.

Re-start computer.

Computer manufacturers such as Dell, HP. etc. pre-load all kinds of junk on the computers that they sell. Carefully identify these, and after you are positive, uninstall them.

(Also, check and remove all spyware; these are not viruses and may not be caught by your anti-virus).

doctorwatson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

NO there are no spywares and no start up programs that i dont want. i am absolutely sure that there is problem with my hard disk. And also after 2 to 3 days of installation the hdd light blinks most of the time very lightly rather than strongly. May this sign can diagnose what the problem is?

What i think is that may be the connector of power supply that converts ide socket into sata socket may be damaged which is causing problem because sometime when it looses clicking sound comes from hardisk. when i tighten it there is no more sound but the hard disk gets slower.And unless i dont install a new windows it remains slow. What do u think?

doctorwatson

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011

Hey total knowledge. Thaaaanks alot!!!. You gave the very clue that helped me correct the problem. I searched about the DMA mode on google and i found thay my drive was in PIO mode possibly due to clicking. I only just changed it to ultra DMA mode and the hard disk is working perfect

Again Thanks alot!!

TRENDING THREADS