Hang-up then Artifacts

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Hi. I own a 8400GS and i had Windows 7. I had random hang-ups and few seconds after, artifacts comes, but system still hanged-up. I can just restart the computer using power button. I though it was Windows 7 or something, so I formated and installed Windows XP pro and still happends. On desktop and during games. I dont think its overheating because the temp only shows 61 celcius idle, and it often hangs-up on idle. But when drivers are disabled, The systems doesnt hang at all. I tried installing a old driver and still hanging. Is my card is dying or....?

Solution
sorry bro, this is a physically defect. for us (consumer level) there is no way to fix it.
if it's a destop, you r ok. just get a new video card. if it's a laptop, you are kind of screw.

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I have an EVGA 8400GS in my current backup computer (one I am on right now) and your temps are fine 61c is my normal idle temp as well (when the room is about average temps)

I am thinking it is your card possibly dying as that is the only thing that sounds right. How old is it and which vendor? has there been any other problems before hand, slow down, artifact etc? And do you overclock it?

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
It only has 1 year, and i bought it from Radioshack. But no warrenty. And no slow downs, no artifacts, just freezes up.

I used to overclock it, +50 mhz, but since it had this problem, i returned it to it<s normal clocks.

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
sorry bro, this is a physically defect. for us (consumer level) there is no way to fix it.
if it's a destop, you r ok. just get a new video card. if it's a laptop, you are kind of screw.

Solution
You got a lot of opinions here but amazingly no one actually gathered any facts.

I dont think its overheating because the temp only shows 61 celcius idle

What temp? What program are you using to acquire this temp?

Off the top of my head, I can come up with several alternate problems.... PSU, overheating CPU, etc.

Please list full specs.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/264823-31-progess-troubleshooting

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Using everest ultimate edition

CPU pentium D 920 2.8 ghz
Motherboard Emery (Hp Asus motherboard)
RAM 2048 GB DDR2
CPU cooler Stock
Video Card Geforce 8400GS
Power Supply 350W
Hard drive(s) 1, 250 GB
Operating System Windows XP pro (and tried under windows 7)
Case MicroATX

And yes, my CPU is overheating, but hits 60 full load, 40c idle (under bios and everest ultimate)

magicbullet

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2008
i bet under win7 it was worse, right?

the fact that win7 uses aero which causes gpu to accelerate, but with the defective ram; therefore, it couldnt. it would crash more often.

if it is so then you have a defect videocard.

darkvine

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Agreed it has to be the cards ram.

If so, if you want the same card you can get it on amazon for around $34 from EVGA.

If you want to upgrade to something more powerful then tell us a budget and we can make some suggestions.

I don't agree at all. You have an older system there with a generic PSU that you are running a video card on.

Cheap PSUs wear out quickly when stressed. Unstable voltage could just as easily cause this.

The only way to know for sure is to put the card into another system to test.

maypep_necro

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Now, i'm having artefacts on games and then freezes, same with 3D mark, on the first test, it runs 30 seconds, then artifacts and 10 seconds after, it freezes.

And i would look for a card under 100 $CAN
And my psu seems okay, want voltages?

There's no good way to test a PSU without some fairly sophisticated equipment. Ripple, v-droop, transient spikes...

I could probably give you a better idea of what your PSU is capable of if you posted a picture of the label, but I really can't hold out much hope for a generic 350W from an HP computer.

If it's not failing and it's OK it might run a 4650 OK
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161262

TRENDING THREADS