I7 950 @ 4Ghz.. Almost there, help tweak please..

dimurof82

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
Hey guys.. A little help if you don't mind please.. I'm so close.

I need some settings help.. I have an i7 950 that I'm trying to get to 4Ghz.. I'm stable for general use at great temps, but I have some trouble with Prime 95.

When I started I was getting 0x124 BSOD errors. So after some messing and some online referencing I figured out the QPI/VTT was too low.. So I began to incrementally raise it. Every time I raised it, it would last longer.. Last night it lasted the longest at what I would say was at a minimum 3 hours (on Prime95).. When I woke up this morning my machine had restarted.. A check of the logs showed a 0x9c BSOD error.

Everything online says this is QPI/VTT or Vcore.. Here are my settings, let me know what you guys think I should change. I feel like if I raise the QPI/VTT any higher I'll be asking for trouble.

Motherboard is a GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3

BCLK: 191
Multi: 21x
QPI CR: Auto
Uncore CR: Auto
CPU Vcore: 1.25
QPI/VTT: 1.415
CPU PLL: 1.88
IOH Core: 1.2
ICH Core: 1.2
DRAM: 1.66

Turbo and hyperthreading off.

At idle I run about 40 degrees C, at full load after about 3 hours (Prime95) I peak at around 70. I have a Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO CPU cooler.

Thanks!

I suspect that your low vcore is limiting you. But the problem with raising it is that you are already at the upper edge of your thermal envelope.

You could try increasing vcore a little on a short term basis to see if it helps. If it does, you will need better cooling.