Advice: Toshiba was ok, but...

I need some suggestions for a new laptop. I bought a nice Toshiba last
summer for daughter no. 1 who uses it for grad. school. Real nice but
heavier'n heck! Now daughter no.2 needs one for grad. school but it has to
be one that's LIGHT. Any suggestions for a LIGHT laptop that's powerful and
reliable? Should have a "built in" modem and/or a network card.

thanks, ken

--
1st Class Restoration
"Put your old music on CD"

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 16:51:43 -0500, "Ken Bouchard"
    <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote:

    >I need some suggestions for a new laptop. I bought a nice Toshiba last
    >summer for daughter no. 1 who uses it for grad. school. Real nice but
    >heavier'n heck! Now daughter no.2 needs one for grad. school but it has to
    >be one that's LIGHT. Any suggestions for a LIGHT laptop that's powerful and
    >reliable? Should have a "built in" modem and/or a network card.

    fujitsu. Have a look at www.fujitsupc.com.

    Funny, I have yet to see ANY laptop that claims to be "light-weight" that
    has built-in speakers. ("lightweight" seems to mean anything under 5 lbs.)
    All the laptops I've looked at that were "reasonable" as far as equipment
    goes, were pretty heavy, one of them went over 9 lbs! Are speakers REALLY
    all that heavy?

    thanks,

    --

    "Chris Hill" <hillco@earthlink.net> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 16:51:43 -0500, "Ken Bouchard"
    > <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote:
    >
    > >I need some suggestions for a new laptop. I bought a nice Toshiba last
    > >summer for daughter no. 1 who uses it for grad. school. Real nice but
    > >heavier'n heck! Now daughter no.2 needs one for grad. school but it has
    > >be one that's LIGHT. Any suggestions for a LIGHT laptop that's powerful
    and
    > >reliable? Should have a "built in" modem and/or a network card.
    > >

    > fujitsu. Have a look at www.fujitsupc.com.

    Thinkpads are the way to go-a little pricey,but very reliable and durable.
    Avg lbs.5-5.5
    "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > I need some suggestions for a new laptop. I bought a nice Toshiba last
    > summer for daughter no. 1 who uses it for grad. school. Real nice but
    > heavier'n heck! Now daughter no.2 needs one for grad. school but it has to
    > be one that's LIGHT. Any suggestions for a LIGHT laptop that's powerful
    and
    > reliable? Should have a "built in" modem and/or a network card.
    >
    > thanks, ken
    >
    > --
    > 1st Class Restoration
    > "Put your old music on CD"
    > www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

    Fujitsu S6000 or S7000 Series.

    dk

    "Greg Kemp" <greg.kemp@verizon.net> wrote in message
    > Thinkpads are the way to go-a little pricey,but very reliable and durable.
    > Avg lbs.5-5.5
    > "Ken Bouchard" <ke_bouchard@adelphia.net> wrote in message
    > > I need some suggestions for a new laptop. I bought a nice Toshiba last
    > > summer for daughter no. 1 who uses it for grad. school. Real nice but
    > > heavier'n heck! Now daughter no.2 needs one for grad. school but it has
    > > be one that's LIGHT. Any suggestions for a LIGHT laptop that's powerful
    > and
    > > reliable? Should have a "built in" modem and/or a network card.
    > >
    > > thanks, ken
    > >
    > > --
    > > 1st Class Restoration
    > > "Put your old music on CD"
    > > www.dvbaudiorestoration.com

    Lots of lightweight choices, some down to ~1lbs (the following are ~3lbs
    or lighter, and decently powerful to get things done)

    In the USA
    Fujitsu P5000
    Sony TR3 series
    Toshiba R100/200 series

    ---

    Imported from Dynamism.com www.conics.net www.japan-direct.com
    Panasonic W series
    Sony U series
    Sony X505
    Toshiba SS SX series
    etc.

    I just sold my R100 - it was very sweet!

    "David Chien" <chiendh@uci.edu> wrote in message
    > Lots of lightweight choices, some down to ~1lbs (the following are ~3lbs
    > or lighter, and decently powerful to get things done)
    >
    > In the USA
    > Fujitsu P5000
    > Sony TR3 series
    > Toshiba R100/200 series