Recommended Procedure for restarting Raid Mirror

kellj72

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2011
I have a 3 hard drive system, all SATA drives where the system drive is non-raid and the 2 WD 1TB drives are
set up in a RAID mirror. The raid mirror always worked perfectly but I replaced the original system drive when I started
having problems not related to RAID. I then reinstalled the same operating system and the Intel raid drivers with the F4
method.

When I tried to install the Intel Matrix Storage manager I get the error message "this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software". Does anyone know the specific order of bios settings, plugging in the raid drives, installing software, etc?

My question is that although I did the original setup of the raid mirror I have forgotten whether I used
the hardware raid or the software raid configuration. I do remember using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager when
I started it up. Do I need to do a recovery here? Is there a way to tell which method I used?

The mirror seemed to work perfectly right up to the point where I put the new system drive in. I have not attempted to
try the mirror out since I installed the new system drive. I am basically just afraid of screwing up the data I have on the RAID mirror somehow so I want to be very careful.

The old system drive was acting up in this way: I had an intermittent loss of mouse functionality. I tried many things but ended up deciding to just put in a new drive and the same OS (Win xp pro sp2). The mouse works fine now. As I said before the mirror was
always intact and accessible even when I was having the intermittent problems with the mouse.

Intel Pentium E2160 1.8GHS LGA 775 Dual core processor
ABIT IP35 pro motherboard
GSKILL 4GB (4x1GB) DDR@ SDRAM 800
WD Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA (X2)
WD RE4 WD5003ABYX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA (new system drive)
WINDOWS XP PRO SP2