laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Hey I am pretty sure I am getting a SSD soon. Just wondering what SATA i should get and what is a good brand in the 200 buck level.

My computer specs are:

Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor

CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory

Western Digital Velociraptor 300GB 10000 RPM

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD6400AAKS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

Pioneer Black Blu-Ray Reader and 12X DVD±R DVD Burner SATA

CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W ATX12V 2.2 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready

ASUS P6T Deluxe/OC Palm LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

EVGA 896-P3-1267-AR GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Was looking at this one since it is 200ish and a 128GB one: SAMSUNG 470 Series MZ-5PA128/US 2.5" 128GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Well, you've got an older Socket 1366 motherboard that does not support SATA 6Gb/s solid state drives.

If you are not planning on upgrading the motherboard and cpu sometime soon, then either the Intel 320 or Samsung 470 would be good SATA 3Gb/s choices. In terms of synthetic benchmarks, neither one is a speed demon; however, when it comes to real world applications both can definitely hang in there. The Intel 320 comes with an extended 5 year warranty and a very user friendly utility that will make it easy to keep the ssd at optimal performance.

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
Like with an entry level ssd will I see the difference? after hearing about the 6gb and the 3gb, didnt even know there were 2 different kinds. Just thought a ssd would all be the same and make my computer super fast like from all the articles I have read.

G

SATA II is ok for u.
your harddrive only need 200MB/s. SATA2 can be 300MB/S Sata III can be more than SATA 2, but u realy don't need to pay for that , II is good for you. If u plant add a SATA III SSD for system, than u don't have to upgrade to SATA III.

G

ok ssd has a lot difference ssd, SATA 2 or SATA 3 ssd?
Far as i know the intel is best ssd we can find from newegg( i love newegg)

and the best from intel is intel 320. that is SATA II. so u dont need SATA III.
(as we knowm the intel SSD can live longger than other band. And 4k redanm is faster than other SATA II SSD. that 4K R/W can be the SATA III or more than some SATA III SSD., So, intel is the best.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
Bottom line first: If you can wait a month or two for some dust to settle - go for the Sata III, If not go with a Sata II using the SF1200 controller. If OCZ get the 34 nm not the 25 nm. I have the Patriot Pro - love it (In I5-750). Not recommending the Intel 320 untill more info on bug (see link later on). Reason for the Sata III is that in most cases, when on a sata II interface they tend to out preform sata II SSds, plus at a latter date when you do get around to upgrading the MB to a Sata III board you can carry it with you.

Extract from one of my previous posts (Slightly editted).
I have 7 SSDs. Have no regreats with the first five. The last 2 (Agility III) 50/50, one worked one did not.

I'd take a more wait and see approach on the SATA III

Sata III SSDs primarily fall into 2 camps: The marvel controller and the Sandforce SF22xx.
....The sandforce III has the best performance (ie vertex III) – Before buying read the OCZ forum on stuttering, BSODs and slow down’s associated with this drive. Could be more of a PLUG & PRAY than PLUG & Play. Also look at Newegg’s 1 and 2 egg ratings – It’s terrible. I purchased the Agility III for my Samsung RF711-01 (SB LapTop) – would not even load operating system, Drive works as a data drive in my I5-2500k desktop fine.

....Marvel controller My only current recommended SATA III SSDs They all perform close to each other so Intel 510 would be the best choice - Newegg had a great price on them recently so Just wait for that sale to repeat. Of the others the Plextor 128 gig seems to have a fairly good rating - but no guarrrenty it's better than other SATA IIIs using the marvel controller.

....Sata II drives: Older ones that use the SF1200 controller would be a 2nd choice. Sequential read/writes are less than the newer Sata III (about halve), but the more important small file random reads/writes are not too far off. Up until yesterday, I would have recommended the Intel 320’s (newer Sata II controller); However, apparently the 320’s have a bug that causes some of them to “decrease size to 8 Mb and all data lost – ouch. Ref: http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Ne [...] wsId=30685

Side comment on warrentees - The longevity of a device is not at the top of the list for determining the warrenty period. In the case of SSDs they go by the write cycles - you max out the write cycle and SSD no workee any more (that is probably in the FINE print), but as pointed out that should cover most normal usage to the point of it not worth replacing as it has been superceeded.

laserpp

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2008
ok, I already have a WD 400 gig passport, so I will just learn how to backup then use that.

And RetiredChief I was told cant use SATA III with my current setup and dont wanna spend money on new MOBO since I really dont want to spend money on the SSD =D

(1) Not twisting arm toward Sata III, Just correct a misconception. Sata III SSDs are backward compatable to SATA II. If you read through the reviews on Newegg you will see that a fair number have stuck the SATA III into a MB with only sata II. Cost difference between Between Sata II and equivalent Sata III is around 10->15% if you buy the SATA III on sale. Generally the Sata III SSDs outpreform the older Sata II when the SATA III is on a SATA II Controller.

.. On Price. Not sure what your budget is. For 120/128 Gig drive.
SATA III - Crucial M4 .. $250, Plextor PX-128.. $250 - $20 MIR, Intel 510.. $277 (Too High)

.. Sata II - Intel 320 .. $220 (OEM)/$240 (Box) Best Choice - BUT hold off for Bug resolution. Samsung 470 .. $210, SF-1200 Based SSDs ... Approx $160->$180, (Cheapest - but best performance, but ALSO LOWEST customer satisfaction @ Newegg). NOTE: many of the SATA II drives are "Out of stock"

General comments:
.. Stay away from "Value" SSDs, while faster than a HDD, Most become dissatisfied due to cost/performance.
... Min size 80 gig, recommended 100 -> 128 gig

... HIGHLY recommend you read thru the customer reviews on New egg.
....... Take with a grain of salt. Some distroy and blame Manuf. Some do not set up correctly (ie use ide mode and not AHCI).
....... Only look at review with 30 or more responding. MY PERCEPTION: Sometimes a manf will play games - make a minor change, change part number, this restarts the "count"

Yes, you probably should have started a new thread.

Yes, SATA III drives are worth it. SATA III drives generally have newer firmware than their SATA II versions, which means increased reliability/compatibility with the latest motherboard chipsets that are out now.

The firmware has better Wear-Leveling algorithms which means that they will last longer than SATA II drives. The firmware also have better Garbage Collection routines so if you don’t have TRIM support due to RAID or other issues they maintain Read/Write performance better than SATA II drives.

TRENDING THREADS