Which gaming graphics card will work with our HP m9040n PC?

We currently have a NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS graphics card but want to upgrade to a better one which will allow GTA IV to run smootly. We have a Intel Core 2 quad processor Q6600 * 2.40GHZ; Mother board is by Asus; Name: IPIBL-LA; and HP/Compaq motherboard name: Berkeley-GL8E. It has 1 PCI slot (occupied); 2 pci express x1 slots (one available); and one PCI express x16 slot which again is occupied. I presume that one of them is occupied bythe current garphics card but no idea which one..... grateful for your advise.
2 answers Last reply
More about which gaming graphics card work m9040n
  1. Well, the graphics card is (most probably) in the x16 slot.

A graphics card I recommend for playing GTA IV smoothly?

I'm not too sure. It depends on how much you want to spend. For about $130 - $150 you could get the 4850 which is a pretty good card for what you pay for.

If you are willing to pay a bit more, you could get the 5870 or 5850 which seem pretty future proof as the market slowly moves to Direct X 11.

If you want a low profile card that will run games pretty well, go for the 4670. It'll set you back around $70. Plus some models don't need a power connection so you won't have to wire it up, just stick it into the motherboard and you're done. ;)
  2. My guess is you will need to upgrade your Power Supply before looking at a new card. It's probably a 300W or so in an HP. You need at LEAST a 400W GOOD PSU to put anything decent in there.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Hewlett Packard Graphics