Sign in with
Your question

Newbie! Overclocking my e5800

Last response: in Overclocking
November 29, 2011 3:34:09 PM

Hi!

I'm a newbie when it comes to overclocking, and I've been reading up on the process for a while now. Unfortunately, it seems that everyone has their own opinion of what works and what doesn't, which tools are the best, and the process itself is very case-to-case.

So I was hoping for some basic steps on what to do.

First, I just want to increase my performance even by just a small bit. My case has a large fan, and my room itself is pretty cool, so I don't plan to install any cooling systems or upgrade by PSU's aside from my stock.

My Specs

Name Intel Pentium E5800
Codename Wolfdale
Specification Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x0)
CPUID 6.7.A
Extended CPUID 6.17
Core Stepping R0
Technology 45 nm
TDP Limit 65 Watts
Core Speed 1197.0 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 6.0 x 199.5 MHz
Rated Bus speed 798.0 MHz
Stock frequency 3200 MHz

-------------------

I've downloaded most of the software that people cite: Prime 95 (v26 - 64 bit), Aida 64 Extreme, Memtest86.. etc.

I'm currently running Windows 7 Professional, and it's a fresh install. I've updated the BIOS version to the latest one from the Intel Site. It's such a shame that my MoBo maxes out at 4GB RAM, so until I upgrade my board, I'll be living with the 2GB (I'll buy another 2GB module next week).

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
November 29, 2011 5:37:06 PM

I realized that my Intel MoBo won't allow overclocking. As such, my current option is to use a Software Overclocker.

I've checked and my PLL is SLG8XP548T (Silego). I can't seem to find support for it amongst the ClockGen, CPUCool, CPUFSB and SetFSB apps.

So I'll be doing a Software overclock, just to get that incremental speed boost. Any advice?

Thanks!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
November 29, 2011 11:50:26 PM

you should be able to increase FSB in your motherboard BIOS. Software overclocks are generally not stable. I wouldn't worry about it. What are you trying to achieve by doing this? overclock just to say you have done it? If you only overclock a few mhz (which is generally all that is stable with software overclock) then you wont notice the difference anyway.
m
l
Related resources
November 30, 2011 12:25:30 AM

@OP--As far as giving you overclocking advice, we'll need your motherboard make & model, your CPU (already provided E5800), & your RAM specs (example: DDR2 800MHz 5-5-5-15.

You'll want to install HWMonitor or something similar to keep an eye on your temps while you set up your OC.

If you only want to OC the CPU, I consider Linx ( http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?2016... ) to be adequate. Then Memtest86+ to test the RAM, which you already have.
m
l
November 30, 2011 12:35:05 AM

Hi Guys.

Thanks for the encouragement. I honestly don't know if I can do a BIOS overclock, but I'll give it a go.

As for the specs of my memory and board, I've actually attached images to my original posts (screencaps from CPU-Z). But in case you can't see the images:

My MoBo

DG41WV
Northbridge Intel G41 rev. A3
Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1
LPCIO Vendor Winbond
LPCIO Model W83627DHG-P

My Memory

Kingston
DDR3
UDIMM
2048 MBytes (2GB)
PC3-10700 (667 MHz)

Thanks!
m
l
November 30, 2011 12:47:40 AM

Eee...Intel Motherboard? Yeah...that kinda kills your OC'ing hopes. Sorry to get your hopes up. You can try one of the older versions of nTune software overclocking. That's a bad choice--but you don't really have a lot of choices since you'll be limited to software overclocking.
m
l
November 30, 2011 1:27:59 AM

Is nTune a good choice? Any tips for it? Thanks
m
l
November 30, 2011 3:21:01 AM

Good choice? No--however, there are no "good" choices in software overclocking. It's one of the choices I'm familiar with. It probably won't hurt anything too much--except for what can get damaged by system instability (you can test later w/ LinX to see if it's stable).

Clockgen is good, but kind of old. Are you sure you have the right settings? Here's a thread with a little info: http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/231...

Remember to watch your temps.
m
l
November 30, 2011 11:25:49 PM

PM me, I'm closing this tab in my browser.
m
l
!