Newbie! Overclocking my e5800

Katylar

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hi!

I'm a newbie when it comes to overclocking, and I've been reading up on the process for a while now. Unfortunately, it seems that everyone has their own opinion of what works and what doesn't, which tools are the best, and the process itself is very case-to-case.

So I was hoping for some basic steps on what to do.

First, I just want to increase my performance even by just a small bit. My case has a large fan, and my room itself is pretty cool, so I don't plan to install any cooling systems or upgrade by PSU's aside from my stock.

My Specs

Name Intel Pentium E5800
Codename Wolfdale
Specification Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5800 @ 3.20GHz
Package (platform ID) Socket 775 LGA (0x0)
CPUID 6.7.A
Extended CPUID 6.17
Core Stepping R0
Technology 45 nm
TDP Limit 65 Watts
Core Speed 1197.0 MHz
Multiplier x FSB 6.0 x 199.5 MHz
Rated Bus speed 798.0 MHz
Stock frequency 3200 MHz

1-2.png

2-1.png

3.png

-------------------

I've downloaded most of the software that people cite: Prime 95 (v26 - 64 bit), Aida 64 Extreme, Memtest86.. etc.

I'm currently running Windows 7 Professional, and it's a fresh install. I've updated the BIOS version to the latest one from the Intel Site. It's such a shame that my MoBo maxes out at 4GB RAM, so until I upgrade my board, I'll be living with the 2GB (I'll buy another 2GB module next week).

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Katylar

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
I realized that my Intel MoBo won't allow overclocking. As such, my current option is to use a Software Overclocker.

I've checked and my PLL is SLG8XP548T (Silego). I can't seem to find support for it amongst the ClockGen, CPUCool, CPUFSB and SetFSB apps.

So I'll be doing a Software overclock, just to get that incremental speed boost. Any advice?

Thanks!

you should be able to increase FSB in your motherboard BIOS. Software overclocks are generally not stable. I wouldn't worry about it. What are you trying to achieve by doing this? overclock just to say you have done it? If you only overclock a few mhz (which is generally all that is stable with software overclock) then you wont notice the difference anyway.

@OP--As far as giving you overclocking advice, we'll need your motherboard make & model, your CPU (already provided E5800), & your RAM specs (example: DDR2 800MHz 5-5-5-15.

You'll want to install HWMonitor or something similar to keep an eye on your temps while you set up your OC.

If you only want to OC the CPU, I consider Linx ( http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?201670-LinX-A-simple-Linpack-interface ) to be adequate. Then Memtest86+ to test the RAM, which you already have.

Katylar

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2011
Hi Guys.

Thanks for the encouragement. I honestly don't know if I can do a BIOS overclock, but I'll give it a go.

As for the specs of my memory and board, I've actually attached images to my original posts (screencaps from CPU-Z). But in case you can't see the images:

My MoBo

DG41WV
Northbridge Intel G41 rev. A3
Southbridge Intel 82801GB (ICH7/R) rev. A1
LPCIO Vendor Winbond
LPCIO Model W83627DHG-P

My Memory

Kingston
DDR3
UDIMM
2048 MBytes (2GB)
PC3-10700 (667 MHz)

Thanks!

Eee...Intel Motherboard? Yeah...that kinda kills your OC'ing hopes. Sorry to get your hopes up. You can try one of the older versions of nTune software overclocking. That's a bad choice--but you don't really have a lot of choices since you'll be limited to software overclocking.

Good choice? No--however, there are no "good" choices in software overclocking. It's one of the choices I'm familiar with. It probably won't hurt anything too much--except for what can get damaged by system instability (you can test later w/ LinX to see if it's stable).

Clockgen is good, but kind of old. Are you sure you have the right settings? Here's a thread with a little info: http://forum.notebookreview.com/windows-os-software/231007-finding-your-pll-clockgen.html

Remember to watch your temps.