Status
Not open for further replies.

strongflower

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
So I ran SetFSB on one of my systems to try and oc a disappointing CPU, and now im having some major issues. For starters, some system specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium D 940 @ 3.2 Ghz
MoBo: Intel D945GTP
PSU: 500W Cooler Master
RAM: 4 GB DDR2 @ 667 Mhz

The mobos BIOS wouldnt allow for ocing of any kind (as we all know with Intel boards), so id read up on the software approach here on Tom's Hardware. I started with CPU-Z, had a look at the specs and thought okay cool, let's go. The next recommendation was SetFSB so I dl'ed it. Admittedly, I didn't really read much into it before running it - i know, i'm sorry - because tom's hardware said since it wasnt adjusting any voltage, hardware damage wasn't possible (or maybe it said very unlikely or something). So i set the ratio the slider up one from where it was (to 5/7) and clicked Set FSB. Windows froze completely so i was like "Wow, this thing really does suck." I thought, okay maybe it just needs more power or something, and changing the FSB alone isnt going to do it. No real surprise there. So i figured i'd reboot and things would go back to normal, right? SetFSB wouldnt be running anymore, and the FSB would return to its working config. But when i restarted via the case's front panel, the screen just stayed blank. So i forced a power down and hit power again, and nothing. The drives activate but no BIOS, no POST.

Is it possible that adjusting the FSB in this manner by so little has put my CPU to bed for good? Could something have changed in the bios? I could try pulling the P4 out of this even older machine im using to type this and throw it in to see if its POSTs, but im going to try and boot with the BIOS jumper set to config first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... this isn't making much sense to me. Thanks!

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
It is certainly possible. You have to understand that overclocking a cpu is not like a gpu - when you oc the cpu, the temperature rises significantly and immediately, and in a fraction of a second.

Your cpu was old and may have been on it's last leg, already. When you upped the voltage it was like using a defibrillator on a 90 year old with heart trouble.

strongflower

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
So it did up the voltage? I mean it makes sense I guess... perhaps I misread the article in terms of the risk level of this particular bit of software. Does it not strike you as strange that a single increment increase would be so devastating?

Does the black screen sound consistent with CPU failure, or is there a chance that its just the MoBo?

I guess the only way of knowing for sure is to swap the P4 in and see if it boots?

PCgamer81

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011

I will be honest - overclocking a single core cpu is treading in dangerous waters. It does seem strange that it would fail like that.

I wish I could be of more help.

Does your system beep at all when you try to boot it?

strongflower

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2011
Well the Pentium D is a dual core. It's a shitty first gen dual core (I believe), but it does have 2 cores. I've read about people getting up to 4Ghz with theirs.

Im not getting and beep error codes, which i would assume id get from a CPU failure. Or maybe not, who knows. I tried a cold boot (cleared the CMOS by popping out the battery), and that didnt work either.

Overclock.net says they've never heard of SetFSB damaging hardware before. Sigh... gotta figure this out. Any other ideas? Any one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts