Need a good overclocking software to adjust FSB if possible.

tony2362

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
Hi. I would like to try some overclocking but I have a dell and can't overclock from the bios. Is there a good newer program to adjust the FSB a little that will work with my comp. There is an option in the bios I turned on that allows software to adjust stuff so its not locked like I've heard about some other dell comps. I've downloaded and used the nvidia ntune and forceware but they are so old and outdated and buggy and would rather not use them. I've also heard there isn't any good ways to overclock besides in the bios so maybe I'm better off just leaving it alone also. I'm not sure so I thought I'd better ask some pro's. I'll post my comp specs below. I would like to try bumping up the FSB and try to get around 3ghz I've heard thats usually pretty easy for this cpu.

Dell XPS 720
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2400 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Ram: 4GB DDR2
Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+
PSU: 750 watt
BIOS: Dell A06

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
you have to do it in the bios.
even if your mobo has software to do it in windows the program still requires a restart to change it in the bios.
i would normally provide a link to the windows utility but you didnt list your motherboard. just your chipset.

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
If I'm not mistaken, the XPS line does not support overclocking from the BIOS.

The only way to overclock the Q6600 in this instance is to use a technique called a "pad mod" or a "BSEL mod". Here's an example of a person who's also OCed his Q6600 in an XPS 720 to 3 GHz. http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1298973

Bear in mind that a mistake can fry your CPU/mobo. Also, ensure your CPU cooling is adequate - the Q6600 is a 65 nm CPU, so it runs hotter than the later generation 45 nm CPUs.

I've a Q6600 in an XPS 420, and I could never work up the courage to try this :)

tony2362

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
ok thx for the info I probobly won't be trying anything too risky so I'll probobly just forget about overclocking until i upgrade next year sometime. CPU-Z says mobo is dell model 0P611C and then A00 off to the side if that helps lol.

arunphilip

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2011
Unlikely.

You can buy BIOS chips on eBay, but those are usually to replace bricked BIOS, and are the same model/version as the one they're replacing. You're looking for a BIOS that will unlock overclocking.

Also, bear in mind that this is a custom Dell motherboard, so its very unlikely someone has gone to the trouble of creating a BIOS to do what you're looking for.

Even if that were possible, it would involve soldering the new chip onto the motherboard. At this point, you're probably better off attempting the BSEL mod instead :)

TRENDING THREADS