yet another suddenly slow xp laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 7:55:52 PM

My machine has slowed down suddenly and dramatically after contracting
and cleaning the sasser virus, and a huge number of spyware progs.I
have removed all spyware, defragged the hd etc, but performance
remains extremely poor. When I run task manager, there are 38
processes running, all finishing with .exe. Could this be slowing
things down? One process, realsched.exe, has a cpu usage figure of
99, compared to 00 for most others. Even my word processor is running
very slowly. Using XP. Would welcome any suggestions. I am a computer
(almost) illiterate.

thnx to all

John Dolan

More about : suddenly slow laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 20, 2004 11:41:02 PM

john_dolan3319@yahoo.co.uk (John Dolan) wrote in

> When I run task manager, there are 38
> processes running, all finishing with .exe. Could this be slowing
> things down? One process, realsched.exe, has a cpu usage figure of
> 99, compared to 00 for most others. Even my word processor is running
> very slowly.

thats your big problem - realsched.exe... basically nothing on your
computer should ever be using 99% of the CPU unless you are rendering 3D
or rendering video. realsched.exe is nothing more than a stinky
schedular for RealPlayer. i'd uninstall RealPlayer, and see what happens.

it is normal for the Task Manager to have many things going on. as long as
you are sure you are clean of viruses/worms, it really doesn't matter how
many things are running in the Task Manager - just that none of them should
be hogging the CPU.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2004 12:50:39 AM

"John Dolan" <john_dolan3319@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
| My machine has slowed down suddenly and dramatically after contracting
| and cleaning the sasser virus, and a huge number of spyware progs.I
| have removed all spyware, defragged the hd etc, but performance
| remains extremely poor. When I run task manager, there are 38
| processes running, all finishing with .exe. Could this be slowing
| things down? One process, realsched.exe, has a cpu usage figure of
| 99, compared to 00 for most others. Even my word processor is running
| very slowly. Using XP. Would welcome any suggestions. I am a computer
| (almost) illiterate.
|
| thnx to all

The only thing that should ever be taking up that much CPU power for any
length of time is System Idle process. Anything else using that much
processing power will obviously slow the PC to a crawl.
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2004 2:57:33 AM

Kill off realsched.exe. It's the scheduler for real player. If it
persists, uninstall and reinstall realplayer.

John Dolan wrote:

> My machine has slowed down suddenly and dramatically after contracting
> and cleaning the sasser virus, and a huge number of spyware progs.I
> have removed all spyware, defragged the hd etc, but performance
> remains extremely poor. When I run task manager, there are 38
> processes running, all finishing with .exe. Could this be slowing
> things down? One process, realsched.exe, has a cpu usage figure of
> 99, compared to 00 for most others. Even my word processor is running
> very slowly. Using XP. Would welcome any suggestions. I am a computer
> (almost) illiterate.
>
> thnx to all
>
> John Dolan
May 21, 2004 10:42:39 AM

Start-Run- type "msconfig"-"start up tab" uncheck everything and reboot. You
can then check programs one at a time (unless you know what they are, If so
then check all the ones you want running.) and reboot.

"John Dolan" <john_dolan3319@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
> My machine has slowed down suddenly and dramatically after contracting
> and cleaning the sasser virus, and a huge number of spyware progs.I
> have removed all spyware, defragged the hd etc, but performance
> remains extremely poor. When I run task manager, there are 38
> processes running, all finishing with .exe. Could this be slowing
> things down? One process, realsched.exe, has a cpu usage figure of
> 99, compared to 00 for most others. Even my word processor is running
> very slowly. Using XP. Would welcome any suggestions. I am a computer
> (almost) illiterate.
>
> thnx to all
>
> John Dolan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 21, 2004 6:02:01 PM

Rob wrote:
> Start-Run- type "msconfig"-"start up tab" uncheck everything and reboot. You
> can then check programs one at a time (unless you know what they are, If so
> then check all the ones you want running.) and reboot.
>

> "John Dolan" <john_dolan3319@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>My machine has slowed down suddenly and dramatically after contracting
>>and cleaning the sasser virus, and a huge number of spyware progs.I
>>have removed all spyware, defragged the hd etc, but performance
>>remains extremely poor. When I run task manager, there are 38
>>processes running, all finishing with .exe. Could this be slowing
>>things down? One process, realsched.exe, has a cpu usage figure of
>>99, compared to 00 for most others. Even my word processor is running
>>very slowly. Using XP. Would welcome any suggestions. I am a computer
>>(almost) illiterate.
>>
>>thnx to all
>>
>>John Dolan

The problem comes from the realsched.exe; uninstall Real Player and
check what happens. The problem should go away. If it does not, post for
further help. Stay away from Real Player until you get some
understanding of what happens during its install.

Hope this helps.

--
John Doue
Anonymous

On or about 5/21/2004 10:02 AM, it came to pass that John Doue wrote:
> Rob wrote:
>
>> Start-Run- type "msconfig"-"start up tab" uncheck everything and
>> reboot. You
>> can then check programs one at a time (unless you know what they are,
>> If so
>> then check all the ones you want running.) and reboot.
>>

>> "John Dolan" <john_dolan3319@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>>> My machine has slowed down suddenly and dramatically after contracting
>>> and cleaning the sasser virus, and a huge number of spyware progs.I
>>> have removed all spyware, defragged the hd etc, but performance
>>> remains extremely poor. When I run task manager, there are 38
>>> processes running, all finishing with .exe. Could this be slowing
>>> things down? One process, realsched.exe, has a cpu usage figure of
>>> 99, compared to 00 for most others. Even my word processor is running
>>> very slowly. Using XP. Would welcome any suggestions. I am a computer
>>> (almost) illiterate.
>>>
>>> thnx to all
>>>
>>> John Dolan
>>

> The problem comes from the realsched.exe; uninstall Real Player and
> check what happens. The problem should go away. If it does not, post for
> further help. Stay away from Real Player until you get some
> understanding of what happens during its install.
>
> Hope this helps.

Replace Real Player with Real Alternative 1.23. Works great.
It available on multiple sites for free download.
http://www.google.com/search?q=real+alternative
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 8:34:56 AM

On Fri, 21 May 2004 14:02:01 GMT, John Doue <notwobe@yahoo.com> wrote:

:>Rob wrote:
:>> Start-Run- type "msconfig"-"start up tab" uncheck everything and reboot. You
:>> can then check programs one at a time (unless you know what they are, If so
:>> then check all the ones you want running.) and reboot.
:>>
:>>
:>> "John Dolan" <john_dolan3319@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message
:>> news:19b4a96c.0405201455.79638523@posting.google.com...
:>>
:>>>My machine has slowed down suddenly and dramatically after contracting
:>>>and cleaning the sasser virus, and a huge number of spyware progs.I
:>>>have removed all spyware, defragged the hd etc, but performance
:>>>remains extremely poor. When I run task manager, there are 38
:>>>processes running, all finishing with .exe. Could this be slowing
:>>>things down? One process, realsched.exe, has a cpu usage figure of
:>>>99, compared to 00 for most others. Even my word processor is running
:>>>very slowly. Using XP. Would welcome any suggestions. I am a computer
:>>>(almost) illiterate.
:>>>
:>>>thnx to all
:>>>
:>>>John Dolan
:>>
:>>
:>>
:>The problem comes from the realsched.exe; uninstall Real Player and
:>check what happens. The problem should go away. If it does not, post for
:>further help. Stay away from Real Player until you get some
:>understanding of what happens during its install.
:>
:>Hope this helps.

Or even better do a Google search on "Real Alternative" and "QuickTime
Alternative". Using a patched version of the old Media Player 6 they give
you the capability of handling those formats without all the overhead and
spyware. I haven't found any Real or QuickTime files yet that don't work
with the "Alternatives".
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
May 22, 2004 5:19:37 PM

I have deleted Real Player, realsched.exe has gone too, and my laptop
is now working fine. Many thanks to all who helped!

John Dolan
!